Hi Experts

I encountered strange behavior that rsyslog truncates message after "-".
The log message sent from Juniper SRX firewall is like this. (I confirmed it with tcpdump)

2021-04-23T21:30:00.111.+00:00 SRX-HOSTNAME RT_FLOW - RT_FLOW_SESSION_CREATE [junos@~~~

But on the log file, I only got

Apr 23 21:30:00 SRX-HOSTNAME RT_FLOW

I thought wrong templates was applied, so added following

$template srxlog,"%msg%\n"
:&fromhost-ip, isequal, SRX-IP, /var/log/SRX-HOSTNAME.log

But result was empty lines were logged on the file.

Does anyone help this situation?
Re: messages are truncated after "-" [ In reply to ]
please log a message with the template RSYSLOG_DebugFormat so we can see the raw
message and how it's parsed.

David Lang

Re: messages are truncated after "-" [ In reply to ]
Thank you!!

With RSYSLOG_DebugFormat template, I've got following.

Debug line with all properties:
FROMHOST: '10.x.x.x'
fromhost-ip: '10.x.x.x'
HOSTNAME: 'SRX-Hostname'
PRI: 14,
syslogtag 'RT_FLOW'
programname: 'RT_FLOW'
APP-NAME: 'RT_FLOW'
PROCID: '-'
MSGID: 'RT_FLOW_SESSION_CREATE',
TIMESTAMP: 'Apr 26 11:00:00'
STRUCTURED-DATA: '[junos@2636.1.1.1.2.135 source-address=~(snipped)]',
msg: ''
escaped msg: ''

Applying custom template(below) got a correct logs.
$template srxlog,"%TIMESTAMP% %FROMHOST% %HOSTNAME% %APP-NAME% %MSGID% %STRUCTURED-DATA%\n"

Thank you!

Re: messages are truncated after "-" [ In reply to ]
you cut out the parts that we need to see to understand what's happening.

we need the rawmsg field that you trimmed off.

David Lang

Re: messages are truncated after "-" [ In reply to ]
sorry for late reply. rawmsg was like this.

rawmsg: '<14>1 2021-04-26T11:26:31.523+08:00 SRX340-01 RT_FLOW - RT_FLOW_SESSION_CREATE [.junos@2636.1.1.1.2.135 source-address="10.x.x.x" source-port="50721" destination-address="202.x.x.x" destination-port="443" connection-tag="0" service-name="junos-https" nat-source-address="x.x.x.x" nat-source-port="57037" nat-destination-address="202.x.x.x" nat-destination-port="443" nat-connection-tag="0" src-nat-rule-type="source rule" src-nat-rule-name="source-nat-rule" dst-nat-rule-type="N/A" dst-nat-rule-name="N/A" protocol-id="6" policy-name="trust-to-untrust" source-zone-name="trust" destination-zone-name="untrust" session-id-32="175626" username="N/A" roles="N/A" packet-incoming-interface="reth1.0" application="UNKNOWN" nested-application="UNKNOWN" encrypted="UNKNOWN" src-vrf-grp="N/A" dst-vrf-grp="N/A"]'