I suspect issue is the raw message not not being sent, does the above
forward on the raw message without any modification, or am I doing it wrong
and best way to forward the raw syslog message
Re: forward raw syslog [ In reply to ]
see https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/templates.html
you can create a template to write the message in whatever format you need.

an example is documented at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37023745/rsyslog-config-to-store-only-raw-message-msg-to-a-file
(in your case you may want to use rawmsg)

if you write the message out to a file with the templte RSYSLOG_DebugFormat, you
will see all the details

I have run into grief in the past with QRadar, IIRC it assigns a type of device
to a source IP address and only properly processes expected messages from that
type, ignoring the host field in the message

If I am remembering this correctly, you would need to setup the omspoof module
to send the messages.

It's worth doing a tcpdump on the qradar system to see what is different between
the message sent directly and the message relayed through rsyslog.

David Lang

Re: forward raw syslog [ In reply to ]
template(name=“rawmsg” type=“string” string=“%rawmsg%\n”)

action(type="omfwd" Target="x.x.x.x" Port="514" Protocol="tcp" queue.type=“LinkedList” template=“rawmsg”)

Basic stuff. Regards,