Mailing List Archive

Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7
While fighting with mutual authentication and certificate problems I
found that chained certificates are supported from a certain rsyslog
release but unfortunately only after upgrading past that release (to
8.2010 at this moment to be precise) I also found that support for
chained certs needs decently recent openssl version.

And that's where it's getting tricky. My setup runs on CentOS7. And
CentOS ships with openssl-1.0.2 by default. I did install openssl11
package from EPEL repository but it installs another version side-by-side.

So when I run rsyslogd, it loads the default openssl 1.0.2 library.

Is there any reasonable way to force rsyslogd to load a particular
version of the openssl library and use it for the omrelp module?
tls.tlslib parameter doesn't give me a possibility to choose a
particular version. It just wants "openssl".

Are there any other methods?

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
Hello!

LD_PRELOAD can help you I guess.. though it'll be rsyslog-wide (not just
omrelp). As long as ABI & API are the same it might work for you.

Though I'd recommend to spin newer rsyslog with proper openssl lib in a
container (docker/podman/systemd-nspawn). Then you may use your
distro-bundled rsyslog just to forward messages required into your
containerized rsyslog which will do complex things instead.

--
Yury Bushmelev
Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
On 21/01/2021 06:54, Yuri Bushmelev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> LD_PRELOAD can help you I guess.. though it'll be rsyslog-wide (not
> just omrelp). As long as ABI & API are the same it might work for you.
>
> Though I'd recommend to spin newer rsyslog with proper openssl lib in
> a container (docker/podman/systemd-nspawn). Then you may use your
> distro-bundled rsyslog just to forward messages required into your
> containerized rsyslog which will do complex things instead.

Bah. I didn't notice it yesterday but it seems that relp modules are
linked to 1.0 versions of openssl libraries in Centos7 so LD_PRELOAD
won't work since the libs are different versions I suppose (and as far
as I know, they do have incompatible API/ABI. It's just that I thought
the TLS lib is explicitly dlopened somwehere later within rslyslogd but
it seems that it's just linked against one ssl version at build time.

I'm not a big fan of the idea containerizing the rsyslog since it forces
me to rebuild it anyway so I might just build my own rpms with openssl11
as well. But I still wanted to avoid that.

Ehhhh. CentOS7.

It seems I'll have to do some workaround to the chained certs problem
(like redirecting inputs to two different CAs based on source IP using
iptables - ugly as hell). Will have to do for now.

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
you can always rebuild librelp yourself - that's the obvious solution...

My 2cts
Rainer

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
Sure. I can rebuild whole rsyslog package or just the RELP components :-)

I just wanted to avoid custom building altogether because that
introduces another level of support burden on my side :-)

I can't understand one more thing though.

I'm trying to set up two different RELP inputs with two different CA
certificates. In fact, I have at least three RELP inputs but it seems
that all are obviously affected.

It seems that, unfortunately, with openssl-1.0.2 the certs, even though
provided on a per-input basis configure main openssl context and only
the "first ones" work. So even though I define different sets of certs
for each input, I get the same certs bound to all inputs. Is it just a
restriction of openssl-1.0.2 and there's no way around it? Or is it
somehow "workaroundable" in 8.2012? (for now I only upgraded up to
8.2010 because it dind't force me to change my config).

I would very much like to avoid custom building so I'm starting to think
about leaving rsyslog-based TLS encryption and just offloading it to
stunnel. I'm not sure though if it won't raise new problems.

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
OK. It turned out I cannot read ;-)

But seriously - the docs state that chained certs should work with
openssl 1.0.2 (I have no idea why I read it at first as "1.0.7" or
something like that; is there such version at all? :-)) but you only get
one ssl context. OK, that's fine by me. But even though I configured
chained certs, I still get the server helo with only a single cert.
Seems I'll have to dig deeper.

Are there any caveats I should be aware of?

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
And... ladies and gentlemen... it's getting weirder and weirder.

I got focused on what's not working that missed the fact that on many
other rsyslog instances the chained certs seem to be working OK.

And here's where it gets confusing.

I have two different sites with a pretty identical config except for IPs
and certs.

One of those sites connects OK to a RELP receiver, another one - doesn't.

OK. So I try to do just plain openssl s_client -connect with a
certificate that I have for each machine.

For one machine it works - the client shows full certificate path
(Subject,Intermediate1,Root,Root), for the other one - the client shows
only the subject's certificate (whereas the file contains
Subject,Intermediate2,Root,Root).

But if i try and do openssl verify, each step of the chain does verify
properly.

So it's no wonder that if the remote end shows only its Subject
certificate without proper chain, the server responds with "go away, I
don't know your CA". That's pretty normal.

To make things even more confusing RELP input shows also only Subject
certificate in Server Hello message even though it does have the same
Intermediate1,Root,Root path as the working client.

As you can imagine, I'm going a bit bananas at the moment ;-)

Anyone ever had similar problem?

Mariusz Kruk
Ekspert ds. Bezpiecze?stwa IT
COMP S.A.
Pion Cyberbezpiecze?stwa i Zarz?dzania Ryzykiem
e-mail: mariusz.kruk@comp.com.pl
e-mail: mariusz.kruk@safecomp.com
tel: +48 608 623 299

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
Let me jump into the discussion, for OpenSSL 1.1.0 and higher we can use
"SSL_use_certificate_chain_file" to set the certificate chain file and apply
it to the SSL Context.
For OpenSSL 1.0.2, we only can load the chained certificate if we use
"SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations" which loads the configured certificate only
if NO CA certificate is configured.

I am not sure if this has been properly documented yet, if not I will have
this done ASAP.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
--
Adiscon GmbH
Mozartstr. 21

Informations regarding your data privacy policy can be found here:
https://www.adiscon.com/data-privacy-policy/

are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error please
notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.

vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren und die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
I'm not sure I understand it.

I thought that I load chains on client's side in tls.mycert for
presenting it to the server and tls.cacert is for verifying server's
certificate.

And from the server's side - the opposite - cacert for verifying clients
and mycert for showing to them.

Is it not so?

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
OK. After some testing it seems that it's a bit more complicated than this.

In my case I had server configured with a "short" certificate signed by
a CA (let's call it Inter1) signed by Root CA. (and for now I'd be happy
not to touch it because it's a production environment and reconfiguring
central server in such setup can be tricky ;->).

For most of the clients I had short certs issued by the same Inter1 CA.
I managed to reconfigure the clients to use chained certs and at the
same time I had omrelp on client configured with Inter1 CA as TLS.CA.
And it worked.

But for some clients I got issued a cert from another CA (let's called
it Inter2). And here if I try to set omrelp with (subject->Inter2->Root
CA) cert and (Inter1 -> Root CA) as CA, the client sends just the
client's cert (not the whole chain).

But I cannot authenticate server because - as I understand - I don't
have its CA. Can I do anything about it? Bah. I know it'd be best to
upgrade to 1.1.1 but it ain't that easy here.

On 21/01/2021 16:12, Mariusz Kruk via rsyslog wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand it.
>
> I thought that I load chains on client's side in tls.mycert for
> presenting it to the server and tls.cacert is for verifying server's
> certificate.
>
> And from the server's side - the opposite - cacert for verifying
> clients and mycert for showing to them.
>
> Is it not so?
>
> On 21/01/2021 16:06, Andre Lorbach via rsyslog wrote:
>> Let me jump into the discussion, for OpenSSL 1.1.0 and higher we can use
>> "SSL_use_certificate_chain_file" to set the certificate chain file
>> and apply
>> it to the SSL Context.
>> For OpenSSL 1.0.2, we only can load the chained certificate if we use
>> "SSL_CTX_load_verify_locations" which loads the configured
>> certificate only
>> if NO CA certificate is configured.
>>
>> I am not sure if this has been properly documented yet, if not I will
>> have
>> this done ASAP.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Andre Lorbach
>> --
>> Adiscon GmbH
>> Mozartstr. 21
>> 97950 Großrinderfeld, Germany
>> Ph. +49-9349-9298530
>> Geschäftsführer/President: Rainer Gerhards Reg.-Gericht Mannheim, HRB
>> 560610
>> Ust.-IDNr.: DE 81 22 04 622
>> Web: www.adiscon.com - Mail: info@adiscon.com
>>
>> Informations regarding your data privacy policy can be found here:
>> https://www.adiscon.com/data-privacy-policy/
>>
>> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
>> If you
>> are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error
>> please
>> notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
>> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
>> strictly forbidden.
>>
>> Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
>> Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese
>> E-Mail
>> irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
>> vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren und die unbefugte
>> Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.

>>> and

Re: Forcing openssl-1.1.1 on Centos7 [ In reply to ]
OK. Just for the record (someone might dig up this thread in the future
and there's nothing more annoying than finding out that someone had
similar problem but no resolution).

I rebuilt the 8.2010 packages to use openssl11 (and librelp-1.9.0 as
well although I'm not sure if it was needed).

And I only used it on the remote hosts! (Unfortunately, on the central
"gathering" server, my rebuilt package started segfaulting right after
start and I had no time to debug).

Unfortunately, if I use no CA option on the central host, I cannot
verify remote hosts' certs properly, so I have to use CA cert
effectively leading the central server to present only "short" cert on
RELP port.

But due to using openssl on the remote clients I can present to the
central host a full chained cert from Inter2 CA while stile verifying
server's cert with Inter1 CA cert.

Seems to work. At least for now ;-)

Thanks to everybody for valuable insights.