Mailing List Archive

Rsyslog working
Hi Everyone,

I have few queries regarding rsyslog functioning. I am using rsyslog
service to collect the logs. For separating the logs coming from different
sources, I am creating the files as per the source IP address, and using
the 'hostname' property for the same. In some cases the "hostname"
property is getting resolved to the 'IP address', but in other cases it
shows as "local host".
However, 'fromHost' value is getting resolved to the IP address.

Would you please enlighten me why it is happening? How does the 'rsyslog'
determine its value, is it by reading the header or payload of the
message?. Kindly also help me to understand the exact and
detailed difference of below 4 properties and which one should be used
where?

*hostname*
*source*
*fromhost*
*fromhost-ip*

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Prashant
Re: Rsyslog working [ In reply to ]
Hi,

this info is read from the header (RFC3164 or 5424 depending on format).

You may be more interested in fromhost-ip property (but that's the
last hop in a relay scenario).

HTH
Rainer

Re: Rsyslog working [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the prompt response.

If the info is read from the header which always has an IP address , the
'hostname' property should always show the IP address, but in my case it is
showing 'localhost. Why is it happening?

Please also provide more info about other fields, how they get mapped to
value?

Thanks,
Prashant

Re: Rsyslog working [ In reply to ]
log the message with the template RSYSLOG_DebugFormat

I'd bet that the header for the messages does not have the IP address there, it
may be missing entirely, which has rsyslog using fromhost instead, and you may
have a /etc/hosts entry that maps that IP to localhost.

but we can't really figure out what's happening until we can see the rawmsg
that's triggering the behavior you are seeing.

David Lang