Mailing List Archive

Request information LEEF Format
Hi All
We have this version of rsyslog on a windows machine.

Client Version 6.2.0.284
Service Version 6.2.0.209

We need to know if it's possible using the LEEF format (instead CEEF) to
send logs to remote syslog server.
From documentation seems that LEEF is not mentioned
Is there a way to use this format with rsyslog ?

Thanks in advance

*Fabio Danìa*

Information & Communication Technology

Authentication & Network services

*On behalf of** FCA Item*

Corso Luigi Settembrini 167, Ingresso 19

10135 Torino – ITALY
Re: Request information LEEF Format [ In reply to ]
Hi Fabio,

thanks for the question. It's not yet supported, but you raise an
interesting point! Let me see what I can do :-)

Greetings to Italy,
Rainer

Re: Request information LEEF Format [ In reply to ]
Hi Fabio,

There is no direct support to automatically convert messages into LEEF
Format but usually we can build almost any format using our property engine.
In the past, I have created a ruleset for RSyslog Windows Agent, that
outputs a propper CEF Formatted message which looks very similar to LEEF
Format.
You can download it from here:
https://download.adiscon.com/configs/ruleset-cef-format.cfg

It helps you get started somewhere and I can help you adapt it to LEEF if
needed.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
--
Adiscon GmbH
Mozartstr. 21

Informations regarding your data privacy policy can be found here:
https://www.adiscon.com/data-privacy-policy/

are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail in error please
notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly forbidden.

vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren und die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieser E-Mail sind nicht gestattet.

Re: Request information LEEF Format [ In reply to ]
Thanks a Lot to all

We have import the ruleset successfully
Now we try to convert\modify the CEF to LEEF

*Fabio Danìa*

Information & Communication Technology

Authentication & Network services

*On behalf of** FCA Item*

Corso Luigi Settembrini 167, Ingresso 19

10135 Torino – ITALY

Re: Request information LEEF Format [ In reply to ]
Hi All
We fail to convert to LEEF, so we tried using CEF.
The source of the problem seems to be related to the format of the source
file, that is in CSV file on filesystem, where the data are written.

With the CSV as source file and CEF Rule set imported we obtain this:

Oct 6 16:24:15 Server1 refername:
CEF:0|adiscon|rsyslogwindowsagent|5.0|Eventlog||10|cat= suser= cs1=
*msg=id"-1"*,"LaUser","1.1.1.1","POST","496","1499","fqdn","/amb/connect","OBSERVED","","1601992067","2020-10-06
13:47:47","https","Business, Software/Hardware","text/plain","","Minimal
Risk","FCB - permitted mime
types","200","IpAddress","","","IE","","Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0;
WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

The problem is that the destination SIEM can't parse the payload because
it is all after msd=id"-1" without the pair Field Data. We would solve this
and obtain this type of output:

Oct 6 16:24:15 Server1 refername:
CEF:0|adiscon|rsyslogwindowsagent|5.0|Eventlog||10|act=OBSERVED src=1.1.1.1
suser=LaUser start:2020 10 06 13:47:47 requestMethod=POST requestClient
Application=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like
Gecko request=https://fqdn/amb/connect

Consider that we are using Rsyslog for windows.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do it?

*Fabio Danìa*

Information & Communication Technology

Authentication & Network services

*On behalf of** FCA Item*

Corso Luigi Settembrini 167, Ingresso 19

10135 Torino – ITALY