Mailing List Archive

an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting
Hi folks,

I am doing an experiment tomorrow and invite you to an open (virtual)
meeting around rsyslog. It's on short notice, and that's part of the
experiment. More details here:

https://rainer.gerhards.net/2020/09/experiment-an-open-online-meeting-for-rsyslog-folks.html

Rainer
Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Great idea, Rainer!

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
I love the idea, it’s just that I have a call already scheduled for then. Maybe if you guys (and girls?) are still around at 4PM UTC I can join later?

Best regards,
Radu
--
Sematext Cloud - Full Stack Observability - https://sematext.com
Solr and Elasticsearch Consulting, Training and Production Support

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately, 4p is a sharp deadline for me :-( ... but my plan is to
do this more than once, at least if it works out. And I usually do not
stop on first try.

One thing I know to be problematic is short notice. With it, however,
it is far easier for me to do these kinds of meetings. But let's see
how things evolve. I am sure there is lots to learn today (at least
for me) if participants join (actually, even if this is not the case
;-)).

Hope that makes sense to you...

Rainer

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Ah, so I can't catch you today :( Maybe next time! It does make sense, yes.

mar., 29 sept. 2020, 10:11 Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> a
scris:

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
What i wouldn't give to put a face to some of these names.

Apologies Rainer, I didn't see this until too late, but I would love to participate next time. After being on this mailing list for a decade it would be awesome to video chat.

How did it go today? Did you regale each other with technological triumphs using rsyslog and a few war stories?

Cheers,

JB

Sent via BlackBerry Hub+ Inbox for Android

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
there is a recording, it will be up after some editing.

a few questions, a few suggestions of desired features (we are going to write
them up to the list and try to see which are the most desirable)

David Lang

Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Joe,

glad to hear from you!

As David said, I'll put a recording up soon (had to run out of office
yesterday after the meeting ;-)). My apologies for the short notice -
it was actually part of the experiment.

It was a very pleasant and fruitful experience yesterday, I am
grateful so many folks could show up with only a few hours of
pre-warning. I will definitely host more meetings. The next time, I
will see that I can give a couple of days info in advance. There will
definitely be one in October.

Rainer

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I managed to catch most of the meeting. I liked the concept! I do have some suggestions, mostly relating to the recording/publishing thing:

Have participants join with video disabled. In my own experience I would like to enable my camera when appropiate, but having it auto-enabled is a downside for me. My browser didn't allow me to only enable microphone, not video, on join. https://community.jitsi.org/t/disable-particpants-video-by-default/74177/2 has some hints on the topic.

Also a clear policy on what audio and video ends up in any publications might help people enable their webcam more and create more of an interactive experience. Personally I probably would have enabled mine if that were in place.

With that said, keep it up, it should be interesting to see where this leads the development of rsyslog and everything around it :)

Regards,
Lennard Klein

there is a recording, it will be up after some editing.

a few questions, a few suggestions of desired features (we are going to write
them up to the list and try to see which are the most desirable)

David Lang

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020, Joe Blow via rsyslog wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:00:15 -0400
> From: Joe Blow via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
> To: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>,
> Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
> Cc: Joe Blow <blackhole.em@gmail.com>,
> rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
> Subject: Re: [rsyslog] an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting
>
> What i wouldn't give to put a face to some of these names.
>
> Apologies Rainer, I didn't see this until too late, but I would love to participate next time. After being on this mailing list for a decade it would be awesome to video chat.
>
> How did it go today? Did you regale each other with technological triumphs using rsyslog and a few war stories?
>
> Cheers,
>
> JB
>

> Sent via BlackBerry Hub+ Inbox for Android

This email is from Equinix (EMEA) B.V. or one of its associated companies in the territory from where this email has been sent. This email, and any files transmitted with it, contains information which is confidential, is solely for the use of the intended recipient and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately. Equinix (EMEA) B.V.. Registered Office: Amstelplein 1, 1096 HA Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Registered in The Netherlands No. 57577889.
Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Il 29/09/20 22:00, Joe Blow via rsyslog ha scritto:
> What i wouldn't give to put a face to some of these names.

+1

> Apologies Rainer, I didn't see this until too late, but I would love to participate next time.

+1

> After being on this mailing list for a decade it would be awesome to video chat.

+1

Please, keep the list "updated".

:-)

Bye,

DV

--
Damiano Verzulli
e-mail: damiano@verzulli.it
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

thanks for the comments! Much appreciated. I like the suggestions from
Lennard, will see that I implement that.

I will do some more follow up (including link to recorded video) as
soon as possible, but need to finish a couple of things before that.
David Lang also has volunteered to write up some core findings from
the session, for what I am very grateful for.

Just wanted to avoid being silent ;-)

Rainer

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I liked this meeting. It was really great and helpful.

In addition to this format, I suggest organizing telcos with an
agenda. E.g., to share experience, findings, roadmaps etc.

--
WBR & WBW, Vitaly
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
> I liked this meeting. It was really great and helpful.
>
> In addition to this format, I suggest organizing telcos with an
> agenda. E.g., to share experience, findings, roadmaps etc.

Thx for the feedback. I agree on meetings with agenda, but we also
need to keep in mind that rsyslog is a relatively small project. Thus
I think we should first look into open meetings. If I can manage to
announce them sufficiently in advance, we can also ask for questions -
maybe this forms kind of an agenda. I do not want to go over 1hr for
web conferences.

What do you think? Feedback is very welcome.

Rainer
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
The recorded meeting is now online (pretty unedited, but looks good enough):

https://rainer.gerhards.net/2020/09/first-syslog-open-online-meeting-a-success.html

I have also added some additional info.

Rainer

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: an experiment: first rsyslog open meeting [ In reply to ]
A good meeting, thank you for the recording.  Hope to be able to attend
the next.

Regards,