https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wec/using-windows-event-collector
The same way the syslog-ng PE implemented it.
https://support.oneidentity.com/technical-documents/syslog-ng-premium-edition/7.0.17/windows-event-collector-administration-guide/log
They switch from developing Windows Syslog agent to WEC input module for
syslog-ng server which I find the best way of handling this type of data
flow.

--
Peter
Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
For obvious reasons, I recommend the rsyslog Windows Agent ;-)

https://www.rsyslog.com/windows-agent/

Rainer

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
Understand. It is one of our candidates.
Just discovered one of your latest posts regarding Windows Events
forwarding. :-)
https://rainer.gerhards.net/2019/10/rsyslog-integrating-windows-event-log-via-udp.html

Still interesting whether some other users have experience with other
software.

--
Peter

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
In the past I have used NxLog with success, but my most recent attempt with
their community edition has run into grief (some sort of memory error)

you should look at it, every product has problems at some point.

David Lang

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
Strange thing, because in my "Sent" folder the message is full of
content whereas I see the posting on the list empty.

Anyways, I'll repost the contents of the original message:

"I've seen Kiwi and Solarwinds in use and the main problem is not in
generating log events as such or forwarding them later with rsyslog or
any other solution. The problem in the end is that when you receive the
events at the destination, you're probably want to parse it into some
kind of log management software.

And here is where it gets tricky because your solution might not be very
happy with the format of the message. I suggest you take a look at both
of them if you're interested and see for yourself whether it's parseable
on your end.
If I remember correctly, kiwi sends some part of the data as xml and
some as key-value part of the syslog message but Solarwinds sends the
events rendered to a simple text message. (But I haven't seen the for
quite a while so this is just my vague recollection)."

Mariusz Kruk
Ekspert ds. Bezpiecze?stwa IT
COMP S.A.
Pion Cyberbezpiecze?stwa i Zarz?dzania Ryzykiem
e-mail: mariusz.kruk@comp.com.pl
e-mail: mariusz.kruk@safecomp.com
tel: +48 608 623 299

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
That's one of the reasons why I recommend rsyslog windows Agent: you
have full control over the output format. Also, it's default format
(Adiscon EventReporter) is known by many systems because it was the
first tool ever to perform that type of work.

Rainer

El jue., 27 ago. 2020 a las 13:41, Mariusz Kruk via rsyslog

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
Hello Rainer,
just curious about the resources rsyslog windows agent requires. Maybe in
comparison to nxlog or others.
We are facing issues with getting the IIS logs from Windows hosts. They log
to plain text files as writing to Windows EventLog caused performance
issues.
How much resources does the rsyslog windows agent consume? How does it
perform for this type of plain text file processing? Do you have some
numbers to count on?

Did someone compare rsyslog windows to nxlog or other syslog forwarding
tool?

--
Peter

Re: handling Windows Event Messages [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

we did not do the comparison I admit. But remember that the tool stems
back to 1998 where performance was much more constraint compared to
now. Of course, APIs changed, requiring more performance. But we
always kept the tool in the spirit to use as few resources as
possible. I wrote the initial IIS file monitor myself. It has a bit
more overhead, because it handles all the "anomalies" of IIS log files
(nul byte padding to name a specific one), but I would really be
surprised if that uses notable resources.

Do you have any indication the rsyslog windows agent causes problems?

Rainer