Mailing List Archive

imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages?
Does anyone have any idea how to get imuxsock to read kernel messages?

We have been having trouble getting any rule in an imuxsock ruleset to read
kernel messages, in particular those from iptables. Without this, ruleset
functionality is not available.

Possibly, the difficulty is that imkmsg is absent on our systems and from
the latest rsyslog package available from the Adiscon repository (8.2006.0).
No obvious means exists to obtain or install this module. Does anyone have
this module installed?

imklog permits a standalone rule (i.e., outside an imuxsock ruleset) to
capture kernel messages, so at least they're not lost, but again, no ruleset
functionality is available.

We have attempted any number of configurations spanning rsyslog.conf,
journald.conf, and sysctl.conf, including creating listeners specifically
for /dev/kmsg, /proc/kmsg, /dev/log, and /run/systemd/journal/syslog, all
without success.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Re: imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages? [ In reply to ]
Did you have a look at imklog? That's the original module for kernel
messages. I admit I do not remember why exactly imkmsg was
contributed.

Rainer

Re: imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for responding.

Yes, of course. imklog was the first thing I tried, and it has been configured to load throughout this process.

In fact, I experimented with a great number of alternative configurations before I thought to try substituting imkmsg for imklog, only to discover that imkmsg was/is missing.

No matter what we do, no rule in an imuxsock ruleset (even *.*) reads iptables log messages.

We know the messages exist, both from running dmesg and because standalone rules (outside an imuxsock ruleset) read the messages.

I experimented with all varieties of syntax, filter, filter text, operator, and property. None had any effect. I experimented with imuxsock listeners on all obvious sockets, and all failed.

I also experimented with both means of interfacing with systemd-journald (i.e., configuring journald.conf with the "ForwardToSyslog=yes" directive, and via imjournal), with no effect.

All that seems to be left (besides giving imkmsg a try) is something to do with the imuxsock module and how it handles kernel messages, and we can't figure it out.

Having ruleset capability for iptables messages would be a big help, and this seems to depend on imuxsock.

Thoughts?

-ERB

Re: imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages? [ In reply to ]
Quick question:

Have you posted your config files (or a simplified test case that can reproduce the problem) somewhere? Others could take a look and compare against their own setup to see if the problem can be better spotted that way.

Re: imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages? [ In reply to ]
please post your config

David Lang

Re: imkmsg absent from 8.2006; How to get imuxsock to read kernel messages? [ In reply to ]
The experimental config file is attached, which has all the A/B tests, with associated comments.

I didn't receive the intervening post wondering whether I had posted the config file somewhere, but I did post it at https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/issues/4299, and it also can be accessed there.

-ERB