at the documentation, it says it's "quite close" but not exactly the same
because rsyslog had it in production for a long time before rfc5424 was
finalized.

What is the difference between the two, and should we make a RSYSLOG-RFC5424
format template that exactly complies? (or if the protocol23 format does comply,
should we make a new name that points at the same definition so that there is a
name that makes it clear that it complies)

David Lang
Re: SyslogProtocol23 vs rfc-5424 [ In reply to ]
IIRC, the doc is wrong (it was written when the final things was not
utilized). But I can check details.

Currently I am spending most of my time with packaging, as nobody ever
really took up this task and we had ample of problems because of it in
the past couple of month. It requires quite some time for me as I need
to learn many new things. ;-)

Rainer