Mailing List Archive

Relp forwarding and transfer of the $fromhost-ip property
Hello !

I work on the creation of architecture on logs managements for internal purpose of a university. I would like to forwarding logs between of logs management servers with RELP protocol. First to create a test server to validate new configuration of centralization with a duplicate of all logs, and later for a server of elastic search integration.

I have face to a problem, the second server receive the log with the $fromhost-ip of the server sending the replication (not the IP source of logs) but i need to apply different file name template based on network ip source.

Is-it possible to transfer the $fromhost-ip property without works on message transmitted ? (less processing apply on logs is better for legal purpose)

Thanks for helping if you have the solution...

Fabien Stéfaniak
Re: Relp forwarding and transfer of the $fromhost-ip property [ In reply to ]
fromhost-ip is where the connection came from, note that hostname in the message
itself is maintained.

what I do is I make a custom template that reformats the message to have JSON as
the syslog message (usually with $!msg to contain the original message), and
that lets me add other metadata (usually under $!trusted)

This lets me do something like $!trusted!relay!fromhost-ip to contain the
fromhost-ip that the relay sees.
I usually log the hostnme of the relay, the timestamp of when the relay got the
message, as well as the IP that the message came from.

David Lang