omudpspoof comes into play. So apparently rsyslog mainQ is aware of
omudpspoof performance and it tries to slow down the flow as much as it
can. While this can work for peaks, it can't work as long term solution.
So far I tried different ways (incl iostats, sar, netstat, ...) to
isolate some metric which can tell me when udpspoof plugin meets its
limits, but without success. Any ideas are more than welcome!

Regards,

Petr

Re: omudpspoof - any metrics to monitor? [ In reply to ]
start by enabling impstats, that's needed to see what's happening and where the
bottlenexks are.

omudpspoof is slow becuse it needs to make lots of system calls, there's no
direct way to measure this cost, but if you have it as an output with it's own
action queue, you can see the performance of the resulting thread (hit 'H' in
top to per-thread stats)

omudpspoof was a hack I put together to solve the problem. I'ts gotten some
cleanup since I submitted it, but it could be improved significantly by getting
a cache similar to hat dynafiles uses, but it's still going to be significantly
slower than normal output. Someone would need to sponsor such work or contribute
it as this is a low-priority enhancement for the core team.

It can probably use additional metrics as well.

David Lang

Re: omudpspoof - any metrics to monitor? [ In reply to ]
Thanks David for sharing details. Actually impstats was my first idea as
well. I will play with it a bit in my lab to monitor performance penalty
in reality.

Thank you!

Petr