Mailing List Archive

required version of openssl
when starting rsyslog 8.1908 on centos 6.10 it generates an error that the
openssl api is too old

what version of openssl is required? can the error message be modified to say
that version rather than just 'too old'? (and can the rpm packaging list the
version as a requirement?)

David Lang
Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
This is fixed in 8.1910. the error message was actually a bug, it should
only apoear if you use an unsupported and uncommon config parameter.

Easier

Sent from phone, thus brief.

David Lang via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> schrieb am Mo., 7. Okt.
2019, 20:58:

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
hmm, it seems like a really simple config

streamdriver ossl
mode 1
authmode anon
and certs defined by the obsolete $foo parameters

I tried setting the cipher, but wasn't able to get it working.

is there an example of a working ossl config that someone can post?

David Lang

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
Can you show your config line? Maybe what you try to set is actually
what requires the newer openSSL API.

Andre, can you step in here?

Rainer

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
side note: testbench has smaples, e.g.
https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/blob/master/tests/imtcp-tls-ossl-error-cert.sh

If you go to the tests dir, all tests with "ossl" in them use the
openssl TLS driver.

HTH
Rainer

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
as I say, a pretty simple config

$DefaultNetstreamDriverCAFile /ews/security/rsyslog/ssl/certs/int2-ca.pem
$DefaultNetstreamDriverCertFile /etc/seceng-syslog-ng/ssl/cert.d/s.int.cer
$DefaultNetstreamDriverKeyFile /etc/seceng-syslog-ng/ssl/key.d/s.int.key

module(load="imtcp"
#StreamDriver.Name="gtls"
StreamDriver.Name="ossl"
StreamDriver.Mode="1"
StreamDriver.AuthMode="anon"
# gnutlsPriorityString="SECURE128:+SECURE192:-VERS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.2"
)
input(type="imtcp"
name="a-rsyslog"
port="6515"
ruleset="a"
)

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
Had a quick look at code. If you uncomment

gnutlsPriorityString="SECURE128:+SECURE192:-VERS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.2"

it makes rsyslog require the SSL_CONF_CTX_set_flags() API, which in
the code is guarded by
#if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER >= 0x10020000L
So I guess that's the problem here.

Andre knows the details (he has written it), but he is available only
later today.

Rainer

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
even if I completely remove that line it still errors out, but that indicates
that I would need to go to at least 1.0.2 to be able to use that option.

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
We need to use SSL_CONF_cmd API to set custom ciphers and other options.
This API was added in OpenSSL 1.0.2, see the API documentation:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.0.2/man3/SSL_CONF_cmd.html

CentOS 6 is probably using old OpenSSL 0.9.8 which does not support that
API.

Our testbench is skipping those tests when such an old OpenSSL Version is
being found.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
centos 6 has 1.0.1e (with lots of backports)

if I don't try to configure ciphers, is there a config that will work? or is the
anon auth mode part of what requires this API? (or something like that)

David Lang

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
El mar., 8 oct. 2019 a las 13:08, David Lang (<david@lang.hm>) escribió:

> centos 6 has 1.0.1e (with lots of backports)
>
> if I don't try to configure ciphers, is there a config that will work? or is the
> anon auth mode part of what requires this API? (or something like that)

David, I guess you missed an important part in my initial response:
8.1908 has a BUG that emits this error message in all cases, even if
the API is not used. This was fixed in 8.1910. As a work-around, the
error message can simply be ignored.

Fix PR: https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/pull/3851

Andre: please correct me if I am wrong in this case.

Rainer

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
Some weak anon ciphers will work on OpenSSL version before 1.0.2, but
support for automatic EC temporary key parameter selection won't work as it
needs SSL_CTX_set_ecdh_auto and SSL_CTX_set_tmp_ecdh API which is also
supported in 1.0.2 and higher only.

This test for example uses anon server and client and will work on CentOS 6:
https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/blob/master/tests/sndrcv_tls_ossl_serveranon_ossl_clientanon.sh

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach

Re: required version of openssl [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

> El mar., 8 oct. 2019 a las 13:08, David Lang (<david@lang.hm>) escribió:
>>
>> centos 6 has 1.0.1e (with lots of backports)
>>
>> if I don't try to configure ciphers, is there a config that will work? or is the
>> anon auth mode part of what requires this API? (or something like that)
>
> David, I guess you missed an important part in my initial response:
> 8.1908 has a BUG that emits this error message in all cases, even if
> the API is not used. This was fixed in 8.1910. As a work-around, the
> error message can simply be ignored.

Thanks, I did misunderstand this.

David Lang