Mailing List Archive

Issue with Disk Assisted queues
Hello Experts,

I am experimenting with Rsyslog. I am trying to redirect Rsyslog log to an
Rsyslog server I have created using Python. I am using Disk Assisted queue.

The problem is when my server is running Rsyslog sends logs properly but
problem occurs when I follow these steps.

1. Stop my rsyslog server.
2. Send some logs
3. Start my rsyslog server.
Here after starting my rsyslog server script I expect messages from rsyslog
which I sent during stopped server. I believe that rsyslog enqueues those
messages if destination not reachable or available but it doesn't work that
way. It doesn't send those logs when server starts. It sends whole bunch of
those pending logs when I generate one more log message.

*Following is my Rsyslog server script.*
import SocketServer
HOST, PORT = "0.0.0.0", 10514
class SyslogUDPHandler(SocketServer.BaseRequestHandler):

def handle(self):
data = bytes.decode(self.request[0].strip())
print(self.request)
if __name__ == "__main__":
try:
server = SocketServer.UDPServer((HOST,PORT), SyslogUDPHandler)
server.serve_forever(poll_interval=0.5)
except (IOError, SystemExit):
raise
except KeyboardInterrupt:
print("Crtl+C Pressed. Shutting down.")

*Following is my configuration file for Rsyslog.*
if ($msg contains "IEC:" ) then
{
action(
queue.filename="iem_queue"
type="omfwd"
Target="172.16.13.12"
Port="10514"
Protocol="udp"
Device="ens33"
queue.type="linkedlist"
name="action_sspl_iem_fwd"
action.resumeRetryCount="-1"
)
}

I have another python script and rsyslog conf file that use named pipe for
same purpose. I am facing same issue with that too so I believe that issue
is at Rsyslog side. I could be wrong.

I need help to solve this issue. I am not able to understand what is
missing/wrong at Rsyslog side.

Regds,
*Malhar Vora*
Blog : http://malhar2010.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/mlvora
Github : https://github.com/vbmade2000 <https://github.com/vbmade2000>
Re: Issue with Disk Assisted queues [ In reply to ]
hen you send with UDP, rsyslog has no way to know that the message failed to be
delivered, so it will never queue.

if you send via TCP, then messages will queue, but only once the OS decides
there is too much data in transit, so you will still loose messages when the
remote system goes down (after the OS closes the connections, all messages will
queue), if you want reliable delivery, you need to use RELP

David Lang

Re: Issue with Disk Assisted queues [ In reply to ]
With datagram protocol you cannot detect that the remote side is down. Use
tcp.

HTH
Rainer

Sent from phone, thus brief.

Malhar vora via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com> schrieb am Mi., 25.
Sep. 2019, 09:05:

Re: Issue with Disk Assisted queues [ In reply to ]
Thanks for reply.

I tried TCP using following Rsyslog configuration but no luck.
if ($msg contains "IEC:" ) then
{
set $!message = $msg;
action(
queue.filename="iem_queue"
type="omfwd"
Target="172.16.13.12"
Port="10515"
Protocol="tcp"
Device="ens33"
queue.type="linkedlist"
name="action_sspl_iem_fwd"
action.resumeRetryCount="-1"
)
}

This time instead of my own script I tried "ncat -l 10515" command to start
a TCP listener.
Basically I believe that Rsyslog will accumulate messages when my
script/app is down and send all the messages right away when my app starts
but it doesn't do so. Instead of that it sends all those messages only when
new message comes up. It sends all the old ones with that new message. So
the thing is my script will not get any of those messages which were
forwarded to Rsyslog during it was not running, until some new message
arrives.

Don't know I am missing something or is this a normal behaviour.

Blog : http://byteofcloud.blogspot.in/

Re: Issue with Disk Assisted queues [ In reply to ]
Hi Malhar,
try to enable impstats [1] which will provide you the evidence of the
rsyslog runtime statistics and queue sizes. Also read about the rsyslog
queues [2][3] a little.
That might help you to understand the queuing in rsyslog.

[1] https://www.rsyslog.com/how-to-use-impstats/
[2] https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/whitepapers/queues_analogy.html
[3] https://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/concepts/queues.html

--
Peter

Re: Issue with Disk Assisted queues [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

Thanks for direction. Actually I had a look on documentation of queues but
couldn't find solution.

I was unaware of impstats. I'll check it now.

Bye the way, I tried same thing using named pipe using ompipe module but
saw same issue.