Mailing List Archive

rsyslog 1.19.6 and segfaults
Hi all,

I accidently hit the send button, so my release note for 1.19.6 already
went on to the list. Anyhow, I guess you can find the relevant links
yourself ;)

But one important thing: I would appreciate if those of you that
experienced the segfaults could try out the new version. I currently
think it will *NOT* fix the problem, but I would like to verify that
(and I have to admit I am not angry if I am wrong...).

If it fails, it would be even greater if you could try it in
single-threaded mode:

./configure --disable-pthreads

I currently think the problem might be related to a threading and would
like to see if that theory has some substance.

Also, a test with

./configure --enable-debug

Would be useful - but I have not added any asserts so if you already did
this, there is no value in re-doing it with 1.9.6.

Thanks for all your help. Looking forward to hear back from you.

Rainer
rsyslog 1.19.6 and segfaults [ In reply to ]
On 2007-09-11, Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com> wrote:

> But one important thing: I would appreciate if those of you that
> experienced the segfaults could try out the new version. I currently
> think it will *NOT* fix the problem, but I would like to verify that
> (and I have to admit I am not angry if I am wrong...).

Sorry, you were right:

*** glibc detected *** rsyslogd: corrupted double-linked list: 0xb7214c98 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x4152ce3e]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x90)[0x415305d0]
rsyslogd(MsgDestruct+0x46)[0x80580b6]
rsyslogd[0x804df9a]
rsyslogd(llExecFunc+0x3f)[0x805f11f]
rsyslogd[0x804d9ea]
rsyslogd[0x804db3f]
/lib/libpthread.so.0[0x416112db]
/lib/libc.so.6(clone+0x5e)[0x4159414e]

With 1.19.6.

> If it fails, it would be even greater if you could try it in
> single-threaded mode:
>
> ./configure --disable-pthreads

Is this safe to use on a busy system? I wouldn't want to start dropping
lots of packets..

-jf
rsyslog 1.19.6 and segfaults [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the report. I'd not yet use the single-threading version. The
performance hit should not be severe, but I think I'll be able to
release another version today. Not sure, of course, if it actually fixes
the bug, but I am working on it. I got a report that it is indeed
related to a threading issue and I am now checking all runtime functions
that get called. At least one I have found to be not thread-safe. I
intend to release a version with that fix and a couple of minor things,
even if I have not yet completed the full runtime-checks.

Rainer

rsyslog 1.19.6 and segfaults [ In reply to ]
Ummm... Importnat word mising. I'd not use the single-threading version
NOW. The reasoning was in the mail. I may ask some time later for it,
though.

Sorry...

Rainer