Mailing List Archive

rsyslog error messages on startup - how and where to put?
Hello everyone,

I am seeking input. I am restructuring the code, and this means that I
will also revisit the way error messages are generated on startup. Those
errors happen very early in processing and the normal syslog message
processing is not yet available when it is carried out. These messages
are mostly about errors in the configuration file.

Rsyslog up to version 1.17.2 spits these messages to the terminal that
is associated with stdin and the system console.

For future releases, I think about sending them to the console, stderr
and optionally a file specified on the command line. Also, I will stop
sending a full syslog header and instead a canned format, most probably
just consisting on a timestamp (is it needed) and the message itself.

I am seeking feedback an what you would find the appropriate place to
send such messages to and what format you would like to see.

Comments are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Rainer Gerhards