On Safari 3 on MacOS 10.5, it has display issues. Old windows do not go
away.

thx
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
There is a config setting. But I thought it would be off by default?

rainer

----- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht -----
Is there a way to turn off the hover-exploding info windows when you
move the mouse over the "message" field?

phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
Rory Toma wrote:
> Is there a way to turn off the hover-exploding info windows when you
> move the mouse over the "message" field?
>
> On Safari 3 on MacOS 10.5, it has display issues. Old windows do not go
> away.
>
> thx

Firefox 3 does not have this issue.

Neither does IE7.
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> There is a config setting. But I thought it would be off by default?
>
> rainer

ViewEnableDetailPopups

thx
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]

I usually test phpLogCon with the Browsers Opera, Firefox and IE7. But I
unfortanetly don't have a MacOS machine to test Safari Browser.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]

If you install phpLogCon with UserDB System, you can turn this feature
off and on within the Admin Center ;).

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
> I usually test phpLogCon with the Browsers Opera, Firefox and IE7. But I
> unfortanetly don't have a MacOS machine to test Safari Browser.

What about the Windows version of Safari?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

> > I usually test phpLogCon with the Browsers Opera, Firefox and IE7. But I
> > unfortanetly don't have a MacOS machine to test Safari Browser.
> >

> What about the Windows version of Safari?
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/

There are websites out there which will freely test your (public) web page on
a number of browsers of your choice, sending you the results after a period of
time.

A web search will be able to find these sites.

Michael.
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]

Oh thanks I wasn't aware Safari was available for Windows ;). I will
download and install this browser and see what I can do.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]

Ok I have Safari installed now, and I see what you mean.
Actually this is some kind of a redraw issue within Safari, which does
not redraw the content which was behind the popup window. If you resize
the window after some popup messages have been viewed, you will see that
the content is redrawn.

However I think we are going to work on this popup window anyway, as it
is not perfect yet.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
> Ok I have Safari installed now, and I see what you mean.
> Actually this is some kind of a redraw issue within Safari, which does
> not redraw the content which was behind the popup window. If you
resize
> the window after some popup messages have been viewed, you will see
> that
> the content is redrawn.
>
> However I think we are going to work on this popup window anyway, as
it
> is not perfect yet.

Let me express my personal opinion in the hope that others will also
provide some input: I do *not* think it is well spent time to enhance
this Window. The nice thing is that it can be turned off and that should
solve most problems ;) Actually, I (again personally!) find the window
in itself quite problematic: if it is turned on, it blocks me from doing
some things in the natural way, because it always pops up and blocks
view of parts of the web page *just* because I happen to have moved the
mouse over some part of the page. For me, this leads to such funny
things that I need to concentrate on moving the mouse from bottom to top
(and not in the opposite direction ;)) when I want to activate some
context menu items - because otherwise the popup would block me from
reaching that point.

Again, this is just my personal view, but I would like to bring that
topic up to a broader audience.

Rainer
phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
A new Version of the beta branch has been released a few moments ago
(mailing list should be informed very soon).
I have rewritten and added some Javascript code in order to enhance the
detail popup window. It does work now equal and very well in Firefox,
Opera and Internet Explorer. It looks a little bit better in Safari, but
it still has redraw problems. But I would say these are browser problems
with css.

You can download the new Version from here:
http://www.phplogcon.org/downloads

If you are working with the devel branch, you will have to wait until
tomorrow.

Best regards,
Andre Lorbach

phplogcon UI question [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> > Ok I have Safari installed now, and I see what you mean.
> > Actually this is some kind of a redraw issue within Safari, which does
> > not redraw the content which was behind the popup window. If you
> resize
> > the window after some popup messages have been viewed, you will see
> > that
> > the content is redrawn.
> >
> > However I think we are going to work on this popup window anyway, as
> it
> > is not perfect yet.
>
> Let me express my personal opinion in the hope that others will also
> provide some input: I do *not* think it is well spent time to enhance
> this Window. The nice thing is that it can be turned off and that should
> solve most problems ;) Actually, I (again personally!) find the
> window in itself quite problematic: if it is turned on, it blocks me
> from doing some things in the natural way, because it always pops up
> and blocks view of parts of the web page *just* because I happen to
> have moved the mouse over some part of the page. For me, this leads
> to such funny things that I need to concentrate on moving the mouse
> from bottom to top
> (and not in the opposite direction ;)) when I want to activate some
> context menu items - because otherwise the popup would block me from
> reaching that point.
>
> Again, this is just my personal view, but I would like to bring that
> topic up to a broader audience.

I can only describe my opinion by giving an example of a firefox extension I
like to use.

I use an extension (or Add-on in FF3 terminology) called Cooliris Previews.
This extension is nifty in that it allows you to open a sub window (pop up
window) for URL's on web pages. From there you can "lock" the sub window down
and mouse over other URL's and it updates the sub windows.

I find this very handy when going through helpdesk cases in our helpdesk
system or emails in my webmial system.

The problem is, before bringing up the sub window, each URL you mouse over
brings up the cooliris previews icon to the right of the link (location
configurable). By default, mousing over the icon brings up the sub window.
People that use cooliris would quickly find this very annoying because sub
windows will constantly open up by accident. So after changing the default to
only allow opening of a sub window by clicking the cooliris icon, it's more
pleasant to use.

After a while though even this becomes annoying, because 90% of my browsing
time I don't use/need cooliris previews, and many times I accidentally click
the icon and bring up sub windows by accident again (you'll realise how easy
it is to make this mistake when using it).

So now I have the bottom right toolbar which enables/disables the extension,
so I no longer see the cooliris icon to the right of every URL I mouse over.

Sometimes though (when I have multiple FF Windows open) that toolbar icon
turns itself on automatically, and does so in every tab that's open in every
window. It's not perfect (and maybe the developers concentrate more on having
this feature enabled in a FF browser than not) but I have come to the point of
considering removing the extension because the pop ups can be annoying when
browsing.

Regards,

Michael.