Mailing List Archive

Rancid Hung
Hi,

I encountered rancid hung after running the following command. I need to
kill the rancid process in order to exit from this process.
When I put this switch in router.db, I received many rancid hung emails from
rancid. Upon checking, I found that the process of this switch hanged which
caused my rancid could not be processed properly. I have to remove a lock
file from /tmp folder and also this switch from router.db in order not to
cause any processing problem for other routers.

I am using expect-5.43.0_3 and rancid-2.3.1_2.

Can anybody advise how to stop this process for being hung? I think this
process should abort if there is any problem instead of hanging there.

Thank you.

[rancid at rcd ~]$ /usr/local/libexec/rancid/xrancid -d sngc3-as2.com
executing clogin -t 90 -c "show version;show memory;show diag;show
switch;show slot;show configuration detail;show configuration" sngc3-as2.com

sngc3-as2.com clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
sngc3-as2.com clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
can not find channel named "exp4"
while executing
"close"
("foreach" body line 117)
invoked from within
"foreach router [lrange $argv $i end] {
set router [string tolower $router]
send_user "$router\n"

# Figure out prompt.
# Since autoena..."
(file "/usr/sbin/clogin" line 616)

^Csngc3-as2.com <http://csngc3-as2.com/>: missed cmd(s): show configuration
detail,show slot,show configuration,show version,show diag,show memory,show
switch
sngc3-as2.com : missed cmd(s): show configuration detail,show slot,show
configuration,show version,show diag,show memory,show switch
sngc3-as2.com: End of run not found
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 09:43:21AM +0800, Ho Siew Fah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I encountered rancid hung after running the following command. I need to
> kill the rancid process in order to exit from this process.
> When I put this switch in router.db, I received many rancid hung emails from
> rancid. Upon checking, I found that the process of this switch hanged which
> caused my rancid could not be processed properly. I have to remove a lock
> file from /tmp folder and also this switch from router.db in order not to
> cause any processing problem for other routers.
>
> I am using expect-5.43.0_3 and rancid-2.3.1_2.
>
> Can anybody advise how to stop this process for being hung? I think this
> process should abort if there is any problem instead of hanging there.
>
> Thank you.

You are running into the expect bug, and need to patch expect:

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/#osystems

Austin
Re: rancid hung [ In reply to ]
It is recurring. Did a bit more digging around and saw it was only dell switches that were choking. The scripts just changed so expect wasn't getting what it was looking for. The good news is that I discovered dnos9 which is the correct type to use in v3.13 instead of the original dell.pm or powerconnect.pm that was working in v3.8. So sometimes the answer is try a different equipment type. :)