$ clogin -V

rancid 3.13

thanks for any update
Re: .cloginrc pass in cleartext? [ In reply to ]
Use public keys to log in instead. That meets your goal of not having the password stored, but isn't necessarily any more secure, if the concern is the security of your equipment.

If your equipment allows it, have the keys log in to accounts that have just enough privilege to execute the (ideally read-only) commands rancid needs and no more (that can be difficult).

At the end of the day, rancid is an automated solution trying to connect to devices that require authentication. The details need to be stored somewhere on the system that runs rancid, and if they are available to rancid, they are available to anyone who can gain rancid's permissions on that system. You will probably also want to ensure that you have rancid configured to obscure passwords.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,

Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263.