Mailing List Archive

login script for PaloAlto PA850
Hi Team,

For the past week, I am trying to configure PA-850 firewalls in rancid,
since I am new to rancid, I was not the aware complete and right procedure
for how to do it, and later I came across several articles on the internet.
Now, I found a very old panrancid script which ends up with the error as
below
I am running PAN-OS Version 10.1.7

Can't use 'defined(%hash)' (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?) at
/usr/lib/rancid/bin/panrancid line 53.

My Configuration files look like as below

cat /var/lib/rancid/firewalls/router.db
firewall1.<domain-name>.com.com;paloalto;up;

cat /etc/rancid/rancid.types.conf

paloalto;script;panrancid

Where i have panrancid file under /var/lib/rancid/bin directory

(I am running ubuntu 22.02)

cat /var/lib/rancid/firewalls/routers.up

firewall1;paloalto

Where i am wrong?

--
Thanks & regards,
Anwar M. Durrani
Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Palo Alto support has bee. built into Rancid for some time, no need for any additional scripts. The device type is: paloalto
Your router.db looks incorrect, it should be:
Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloalto;up

Chris

cat /var/lib/rancid/firewalls/router.db firewall1.<domain-name>.http://com.com"]com.com;paloalto;up;

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 07:21:17AM -0400, Chris Weakland:
> Palo Alto support has bee. built into Rancid for some time, no need for any
additional scripts. The device type is: paloalto

indeed; there is also device type paloaltoxml for the xml config.

> Your router.db looks incorrect, it should be:
>
> Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloalto;up

to be pedantic, additional fields are simply ignored.

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Just wanted to add for the benefit of all, I like to edit my etc/rancid.types.conf and add a new “type”. Here is what the additional lines look like:

paloaltofw;script;rancid -t paloaltofw

paloaltofw;login;panlogin

paloaltofw;module;panos

paloaltofw;inloop;panos::inloop

paloaltofw;command;panos::ShowInfo;show system info

paloaltofw;command;panos::ShowInventory;show chassis inventory

paloaltofw;command;rancid::RunCommand;set cli config-output-format set

paloaltofw;command;rancid::RunCommand;configure

paloaltofw;command;panos::ShowConfig;show

This gives you a more human readable configuration.

In your router.db you would need to add:

Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloaltofw;up

Chris

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Thanks heasley for reaching out, yes i have intentionally took off domain
part for security reasons

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Chris for your prompt response.

I am putting complete procedure step by step so that every one can easily
understand

#Configure PaloAlto Firewall on rancid server
Rancid Version : 3.13-1 [apt -list | grep rancid]
OS Version : Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS [lsb_release -a]

1. Make changes in rancid main configuration /etc/rancid/rancid.conf
add firewalls(whatever name you would like to keep) LIST_OF_GROUPS="routers
switches waps firewalls"; export LIST_OF_GROUPS

2. To take effets the changes in configuration run below command but you
have to be rancid user first
su - rancid
/usr/lib/rancid/bin/rancid-run

3. Make change in configuration file and add device
vim /var/lib/rancid/firewalls/router.db

add following line

firewall1.your-domain.com;paloalto;up;

4. Make changes in
vim /var/lib/rancid/firewalls/routers.up

add below line

firewall1.your-domain.com;paloalto

5. Make changes in vim /etc/rancid/rancid.types.base

add lines below

paloalto;login;plogin
paloalto;module;panos
paloalto;inloop;panos::inloop
paloalto;command;panos::ShowInfo;show system info
paloalto;command;panos::ShowInventory;show chassis inventory
paloalto;command;panos::ShowConfig;show config merged

6. Make changes in vim /etc/rancid/rancid.types.conf

# This is for PaloAlto Firewall
paloalto;script;panrancid

7. Make changes in vim /etc/rancid/rancid.types.conf

add lines as below

# This is for PaloAlto Firewall
paloalto;script;panrancid

8. Enable email configuration

vim /etc/aliases

add lines below

rancid-firewalls: infra-alerts@your-domain.com
rancid-firewalls-admin: infra-alerts@your-domain.com

# Run below command to take into effect
newaliases

# You Must have panos, panrancid & plogin files present under
/var/lib/rancid/bin

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Just a reminder that the "set" output cannot always be uploaded directly to a PA in a disaster scenario, only the XML can be used for that. You can try to paste in the "set" output through either the serial port or an SSH session once you have a network, but that is known to not always work 100% on all versions of PAN-OS. (The commands are not always generated in the correct order, and outright circular dependencies often exist.)

OTOH, good luck having a human read and understand XML or JSON diffs, so you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place...

We used to solve this by backing up the same config twice, once in each format. PITA but it worked.

If you also have and use Palo Alto's Panorama product to manage your firewalls, you may as well disregard everything I've just said, it changes the rules of the game completely anyway. Its config can be captured via SSH in "set" format like a firewall, which is still useful for human analysis. (Make sure your timeouts are high, though - my Panorama instance takes about 20min to dump ~0.7M lines in "set" format!)

Source: currently in year 4 of a love-hate, no wait, more like a need-hate, relationship with Panorama.

-Adam

________________________________

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
I think you can remove step 4, in my experience it should not be needed

Chris

    http://firewall1.your-domain.com"]firewall1.your-domain.com;paloalto;up;

[...]

http://Firewall1.yourdomain.com"]Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloaltofw;up

Chris

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Ok Thanks, Chris, I will make a note.

One more thing, whenever I am pushing changes to Firewalls i am not getting
notified through email about changes made but in the case of Cisco, I
receive whatever changes are made through email. While in the Firewall I am
getting notifications as below every 30 mins.

#wf-private-version: 0
#wf-private-release-date: unknown
#url-db: paloaltonetworks
- #wildfire-version: 757373-760822
- #wildfire-release-date: 2023/04/06 19:57:32 IST
+ #wildfire-version: 757379-760828
+ #wildfire-release-date: 2023/04/06 20:27:32 IST
#wildfire-rt: Disabled
- #url-filtering-version: 20230406.20218
+ #url-filtering-version: 20230406.20226

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 02:36:35PM +0530, Anwar Durrani:
> Thanks heasley for reaching out, yes i have intentionally took off domain
> part for security reasons

You might have misunderstood.

> > > Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloalto;up
> >
> > to be pedantic, additional fields are simply ignored.

Firewall1.yourdomain.com;paloalto;up;this is ignored;so is this;and that

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
My apologies, thanks for correction.

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
Thu, Apr 06, 2023 at 12:11:26PM +0000, Adam Thompson:
> Just a reminder that the "set" output cannot always be uploaded directly to a PA in a disaster scenario, only the XML can be used for that. You can try to paste in the "set" output through either the serial port or an SSH session once you have a network, but that is known to not always work 100% on all versions of PAN-OS. (The commands are not always generated in the correct order, and outright circular dependencies often exist.)
>
> OTOH, good luck having a human read and understand XML or JSON diffs, so you're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place...
>
> We used to solve this by backing up the same config twice, once in each format. PITA but it worked.

There is probably a hack that can be used to collect both. the easiest
way would be a 'show config running' command that is slightly different
in its text, such as an additional argument. "show config running | no-more".

Is there such a thing?

Anything else will require changes to how rancid manages the command list,
so that it doesnt drop the duplicate.

Re: login script for PaloAlto PA850 [ In reply to ]
No, sadly you have to send a separate command to change formats:
set cli config-output-format
configure
show
exit
set cli config-output-format
configure
show
exit

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services?
MERLIN
100 - 135 Innovation Drive?
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8?
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)?
https://www.merlin.mb.ca?
Chat with me on Teams?
?