junosx;timeout;120
junosx;module;junos

randy

Re: rancid.types.conf [ In reply to ]
> is it sufficient to just rename the alias's target, i.e.
>
> in `/etc/rancid.types.conf`
>
> juniper;alias;junosx <<<---
> junosx;script;rancid -t junos
> junosx;login;jlogin
> junosx;timeout;120
> junosx;module;junos

experiment sez no. i had to change all, and make up a new name for
`router.db`

randy

Re: rancid.types.conf [ In reply to ]
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 05:48:27PM -0700, Randy Bush:
> > is it sufficient to just rename the alias's target, i.e.
> >
> > in `/etc/rancid.types.conf`
> >
> > juniper;alias;junosx <<<---
> > junosx;script;rancid -t junos
> > junosx;login;jlogin
> > junosx;timeout;120
> > junosx;module;junos
>
> experiment sez no. i had to change all, and make up a new name for
> `router.db`

no, rancid.types.base is evaluated first and takes precedence.

Re: rancid.types.conf [ In reply to ]
>>> is it sufficient to just rename the alias's target, i.e.
>>>
>>> in `/etc/rancid.types.conf`
>>>
>>> juniper;alias;junosx <<<---
>>> junosx;script;rancid -t junos
>>> junosx;login;jlogin
>>> junosx;timeout;120
>>> junosx;module;junos
>>
>> experiment sez no. i had to change all, and make up a new name for
>> `router.db`
>
> no, rancid.types.base is evaluated first and takes precedence.

and i am not supposed to touch `rancid.types.base`

randy

Re: rancid.types.conf [ In reply to ]
Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 06:17:33PM -0700, Randy Bush:

> >> experiment sez no. i had to change all, and make up a new name for
> >> `router.db`
> >
> > no, rancid.types.base is evaluated first and takes precedence.
>
> and i am not supposed to touch `rancid.types.base`

I ask that you do not; it is easier for me if, when folks ask for help,
I immediately know if you are using a custom device definition. Future
upgrades will over-write base file, but not the other one. you can use
a different name or use 'junosx'.

Re: rancid.types.conf [ In reply to ]

>>> no, rancid.types.base is evaluated first and takes precedence.
>>
>> and i am not supposed to touch `rancid.types.base`
>
> I ask that you do not; it is easier for me if, when folks ask for
> help, I immediately know if you are using a custom device definition.
> Future upgrades will over-write base file, but not the other one.

understood. thanks.

randy