Mailing List Archive

Backing up HP router issue
Dear All,
I have the below
Rancid ver 3.9 running on Centos 8.4 backing up with no issues Cisco Switches ,Routers and Forgate Firewall I wanted to backup a new HP router but the config file is emptyI am able to login into the router with cloginhere are my .clogin.rc and my router.db file
--------------.clogin.rc entry
add cyphertype ipaddress    aes256-ctradd method ipaddress      telnetadd enablecmd ipaddress           "super"add password ipaddress   {password} {password}-------------
router.db entry
ipaddress;hp;up
-------------------------------------
when i run ./path/clogin ipaddress of hp router it logs me in and i see the below
* Copyright (c) 2010-2015 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP          *
* Without the owner's prior written consent,                                 *
* no decompiling or reverse-engineering shall be allowed.                    *

Login authentication

Password:
<Hostname>super
Please input the password to change the privilege level. Press CTRL_C to abort.
 Password:
User privilege level is 3, and only those commands can be used
whose level is equal or less than this.
Privilege note: 0-VISIT, 1-MONITOR, 2-SYSTEM, 3-MANAGE
<Hostname>---------------------------------------
my error log
-----------------

Trying to get all of the configs.
ipaddres: missed cmd(s): all commands
ipaddres: End of run not found
ipaddress clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
;
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
ipaddress: missed cmd(s): all commands
ipaddress: End of run not found
ipaddress clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
;
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
ipaddress: missed cmd(s): all commands
ipaddress: End of run not found
ipaddress clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
;
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
ipaddress: missed cmd(s): all commands
ipaddress: End of run not found
ipaddress clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
;
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
ipaddress: missed cmd(s): all commands
ipaddress: End of run not found
ipaddress clogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
;

cvs diff: Diffing .
cvs diff: Diffing configs
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining configs
Checking in router.db;
/usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/Routers/router.db,v  <--  router.db
done
Appreciate your help and advice

Thanks and Regards
Simon
Re: Backing up HP router issue [ In reply to ]
Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 08:14:33PM +0000, simon ben:
> Dear All,
> I have the below
> Rancid ver 3.9 running on Centos 8.4 backing up with no issues Cisco Switches ,Routers and Forgate Firewall?I wanted to backup a new HP router but the config file is emptyI am able to login into the router with cloginhere are my .clogin.rc and my router.db file
> --------------.clogin.rc entry
> add cyphertype ipaddress????aes256-ctradd method ipaddress ???? telnetadd enablecmd ipaddress ????????? "super"add password ipaddress ? {password} {password}-------------
> router.db entry
> ipaddress;hp;up
> -------------------------------------
> when i run ./path/clogin ipaddress of hp router it logs me in and i see the below

hp uses hlogin. If you have the device in a group's router.db, you can
use plogin and it will exect the appropriate script. Also see the FAQ
section 3 for a more detailed login test. Lack of permissions might be
causing the failure.

but, hp mostly (entirely?) OEMs their NOS. see comments in rancid.types.base
for hp models known to work with types hp or foundry. type smc is another
option to try.

Re: Backing up HP router issue [ In reply to ]
This is a variant of a comware device.

Standard rancid has vrp.pm and xilogin which are probably the nearest fit, being of Huawei heritage, but I have never tried them.

I have my own cmw.pm/cmwlogin which are ... in a bit of a state ... and have never been tested on 1920G and similar.

You might try something along the lines of setting the user you are logging in as with:

authorization-attribute level 3

and:

add autoenable ipaddress {1}

so you don't need the "super" command.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,

Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263.