Mailing List Archive

Draft config for IOS-XR 7.x on Cisco NCS
After many years of trouble-free RANCID use, we ran into a snag trying to get our shiny new Cisco NCS 5000 router into the system. It appears there were significant CLI changes between 6.x and 7.x, primarily the complete elimination of the 'admin' mode, which most of the cisco-xr commands relied on. After a few false starts I think I've found a set of commands that do the right things:

# Variant cisco-xr/ios-xr commands for IOS-XR 7.x on NCS
# WCO 20200409
ios-xr7;alias;cisco-xr7
cisco-xr7;script;rancid -t cisco-xr7
cisco-xr7;login;clogin
cisco-xr7;module;iosxr
cisco-xr7;inloop;iosxr::inloop
cisco-xr7;command;rancid::RunCommand;terminal exec prompt no-timestamp
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowVersion;show version
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowMemorySum;show memory summary
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowInstallActive;show install active
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowLicense;show license udi
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowLicense;show license summary
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowHWfpd;show hw-module fpd
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowRedundancy;show redundancy
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowEnv;show env all
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all config:
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all disk0:
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all harddisk:
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowContAll;show controllers description
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::AdminShowDiag;show diag
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowInventory;show inventory raw
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowDebug;show debug
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowRPL;show rpl maximum
cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::WriteTerm;show running-config

I limited the number of DirSlotN commands because the other option, rootfs, has constantly changing files.

I'm running these with a custom task/user config to limit the rancid account's privileges, which also seems to work:

taskgroup rancid
task execute filesystem
inherit taskgroup retrieve
!
usergroup rancid
taskgroup rancid
!
username myrancid
group rancid
secret 10 blahblah

Comments, feedback, and so on, all appreciated...

Bill.

Re: Draft config for IOS-XR 7.x on Cisco NCS [ In reply to ]
Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 08:11:15PM +0000, Bill Owens:
> After many years of trouble-free RANCID use, we ran into a snag trying to get our shiny new Cisco NCS 5000 router into the system. It appears there were significant CLI changes between 6.x and 7.x, primarily the complete elimination of the 'admin' mode, which most of the cisco-xr commands relied on. After a few false starts I think I've found a set of commands that do the right things:
>
> # Variant cisco-xr/ios-xr commands for IOS-XR 7.x on NCS
> # WCO 20200409
> ios-xr7;alias;cisco-xr7
> cisco-xr7;script;rancid -t cisco-xr7
> cisco-xr7;login;clogin
> cisco-xr7;module;iosxr
> cisco-xr7;inloop;iosxr::inloop
> cisco-xr7;command;rancid::RunCommand;terminal exec prompt no-timestamp
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowVersion;show version
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowMemorySum;show memory summary
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowInstallActive;show install active
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowLicense;show license udi
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowLicense;show license summary
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowHWfpd;show hw-module fpd
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowRedundancy;show redundancy
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowEnv;show env all
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all config:
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all disk0:
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::DirSlotN;dir /all harddisk:
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowContAll;show controllers description
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::AdminShowDiag;show diag
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowInventory;show inventory raw
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowDebug;show debug
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::ShowRPL;show rpl maximum
> cisco-xr7;command;iosxr::WriteTerm;show running-config
>
> I limited the number of DirSlotN commands because the other option, rootfs, has constantly changing files.

I am not positive that the NCS variant is the same as the ASR, but please
try/see rancid device type cisco-exr. EXR = enhanced XR; their name, not
mine.

Re: Draft config for IOS-XR 7.x on Cisco NCS [ In reply to ]