I'm new to Rancid, just started playing with it.

Is somehow possible, when newer config file of same device exist, to keep
only newest version, or it's already configured by default ?
Re: Rancid - keep backup/config files/SVN revisions no older than X days [ In reply to ]
Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 09:47:56AM -0800, Dragan Vucanovic:
> I'm new to Rancid, just started playing with it.
>
> Is somehow possible, when newer config file of same device exist, to keep
> only newest version, or it's already configured by default ?

not really - saving the config history is part of the majick. one (you)
could write a script to periodically look at the CVS or SVN history and
delete all revisions besides the latest. this would not work with git,
afaik.

Re: Rancid - keep backup/config files/SVN revisions no older than X days [ In reply to ]
On 17.01.2020 19:18, john heasley wrote:
> Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 09:47:56AM -0800, Dragan Vucanovic:
>> I'm new to Rancid, just started playing with it.
>>
>> Is somehow possible, when newer config file of same device exist, to keep
>> only newest version, or it's already configured by default ?
> not really - saving the config history is part of the majick. one (you)
> could write a script to periodically look at the CVS or SVN history and
> delete all revisions besides the latest. this would not work with git,
> afaik.
Nope. That's the whole point of the versioning system - to keep track of
old versions. In case of SVN you can't just delete old revisions (you
can try to do some weird stuff like dumping only selected revisions and
load it into a new repo but it's silly). It's not how it's supposed to
work. BTW, a question to the original poster - what would be the point
of such action? If you just want to keep one "offline" copy of your
devices config, I suppose you could try to hack rancid-cvs not to use a
repo altogether but what for?

Re: Rancid - keep backup/config files/SVN revisions no older than X days [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/2020 17:47, Dragan Vucanovic wrote:
> I'm new to Rancid, just started playing with it.
>
> Is somehow possible, when newer config file of same device exist, to
> keep only newest version, or it's already configured by default ?

If size is a concern, it doesn't need take n*size to store n days of
configs like e.g. Solarwinds NCM. Only differences are stored.

At my last job we had 7 years worth of config for some devices with no
storage struggle at all.