team into the different devices. For the git backend we installed gitlist
but find it lacking, especially when it comes to a very common need
"display diff between version X and version Y".

Has anyone solved this problem in gitlist, or what other web frontend
are you using to display data from the git repository that can do this?

Thanks, andreas
--
Andreas Ott andreas@naund.org

Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
gitlist allows you to compare revisions.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:14 PM Andreas Ott <andreas@naund.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have recently uplifted a server from the stoneage to a current version
> of
> rancid, also now using git as the version control system.
>
> In previous generations we used cvsweb (cvs backend) and WebSVN (svn
> backend) to provide at least read-only view for our operations/support
> team into the different devices. For the git backend we installed gitlist
> but find it lacking, especially when it comes to a very common need
> "display diff between version X and version Y".
>
> Has anyone solved this problem in gitlist, or what other web frontend
> are you using to display data from the git repository that can do this?
>
> Thanks, andreas
> --
> Andreas Ott andreas@naund.org

Jason
Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 04:13:57PM -0700, Andreas Ott:
> we have recently uplifted a server from the stoneage to a current version of
> rancid, also now using git as the version control system.
>
> In previous generations we used cvsweb (cvs backend) and WebSVN (svn
> backend) to provide at least read-only view for our operations/support
> team into the different devices. For the git backend we installed gitlist
> but find it lacking, especially when it comes to a very common need
> "display diff between version X and version Y".
>
> Has anyone solved this problem in gitlist, or what other web frontend
> are you using to display data from the git repository that can do this?

we use gitweb. doesnt seem to have what you seek, but does have a
"commit-to-current" diff button. if one knows the commits, they can
enter those manually in the url to achieve what you want - or hack
that to do what you want.

Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:14 PM Andreas Ott <andreas@naund.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have recently uplifted a server from the stoneage to a current version of
> rancid, also now using git as the version control system.
>
> In previous generations we used cvsweb (cvs backend) and WebSVN (svn
> backend) to provide at least read-only view for our operations/support
> team into the different devices. For the git backend we installed gitlist
> but find it lacking, especially when it comes to a very common need
> "display diff between version X and version Y".
>
> Has anyone solved this problem in gitlist, or what other web frontend
> are you using to display data from the git repository that can do this?
>
> Thanks, andreas
> --
> Andreas Ott andreas@naund.org

My solution for this was to use a commit hook to push to an instance
of gitlab ce.

I miss the simple interface of viewvc, but progress...

Cheers

Arne

Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 11:34:05AM +0000, shouldbe q931:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:14 PM Andreas Ott <andreas@naund.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > we have recently uplifted a server from the stoneage to a current version of
> > rancid, also now using git as the version control system.
> >
> > In previous generations we used cvsweb (cvs backend) and WebSVN (svn
> > backend) to provide at least read-only view for our operations/support
> > team into the different devices. For the git backend we installed gitlist
> > but find it lacking, especially when it comes to a very common need
> > "display diff between version X and version Y".
> >
> > Has anyone solved this problem in gitlist, or what other web frontend
> > are you using to display data from the git repository that can do this?
> >
> > Thanks, andreas
> > --
> > Andreas Ott andreas@naund.org
> >

> My solution for this was to use a commit hook to push to an instance
> of gitlab ce.

Not know the exact nature of your hack, but if using git, there is a simple
method to have a remote without hacking. See the rancid FAQ S2Q8.

Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
On 05/11/2019 11:34, shouldbe q931 wrote:
> My solution for this was to use a commit hook to push to an instance
> of gitlab ce.
>
> I miss the simple interface of viewvc, but progress...

If you get fewer features, what is the progress?

(serious question - I use viewvc+svn for rancid, even though I long ago
switched to git for actual code. I don't know what I'd gain from this
switch for rancid... there are no PRs, no merges and a single "author")

Re: web frontend for git based rancid [ In reply to ]
Would you mind elaborating how you get gitlist to compare arbitrary
revisions? I tried looking for gitlist documentation but it's "sparse".
Thanks, andreas