Mailing List Archive

Switch HPE 5700
Hello,

We bought a switch HPE 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP2 and display commands on it are:

* display version
* display startup
* display device
* display device manuinfo
* display transceiver manuinfo interface
* display debugging
* display current-configuration

Do you, please, give the device type that I have to define in Rancid to save it ?

Many thanks in advance,

R?mi

This transmission is intended solely for the addressee and contains confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
Furthermore, please do not copy the message or disclose the contents to anyone unless agreed otherwise. To the extent permitted by law we shall in no way be liable for any damages, whatever their nature, arising out of transmission failures, viruses, external influence, delays and the like.
Re: Switch HPE 5700 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM FESSARD, Remi <Remi.FESSARD@knorr-bremse.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> We bought a switch HPE 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP2 and display commands on it
> are:
>

> - display version
> - display startup
> - display device
> - display device manuinfo
> - display transceiver manuinfo interface
> - display debugging
> - display current-configuration
>

> Do you, please, give the device type that I have to define in Rancid to
> save it ?
>

> Bonjour Rémi,

We're using HPE A5800 switches and they use similar syntax (Comware). I
don't know exactly what to use in your case but back in the time where we
configured them with rancid, there was a device type called "h3c".

You may have a look here:

https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/h3c

When I received the switches, the author of this page (Jethro Binks) kindly
worked (a lot) to adapt his scripts so that it works with the HP A5800
(although he didn't have one to test). It's still working as of now. Ours
is Comware 5-based, but the A5900 is in the list of tested models and is
apparently Comware 7 based. I don't know why it hasn't been merged into
rancid.

I think, though, that these switches have a compatibility mode that would
let you use the hp device type (procurve syntax).

Ugo Bellavance (ugob@lubik.ca)
Re: Switch HPE 5700 [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I just realized that there is a page for Rancid 3.x.

https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/cmwrancid

Re: Switch HPE 5700 [ In reply to ]
Some brief comments:

1. cmwrancid for rancid3 will work with Comware 7 (and 5 and 3). h3c one
was for rancid2, supporting Comware 5 and 3;

2. The version on that site is old, I run a newer one locally, but I think
it required some other tweaks to rancid that were a bit of a fudge and I
never got around to discussing with John or doing it better (whatever it
was). Or something. It's all a bit hazy. But my local one does work for
me;

3. Subsequently I think John created his own basic module for the comware
platform, I didn't have opportunity look at it;

4. Probably anything I learned should feed into John's official module (I
can't remember what it was called), but there was quite a lot of hacking
to workaround issues with the older platforms so it may have to be only
stated as useable for more recent comware 5 and 7;

5. I get very little development time these days so my attention is a long
away from rancid ... sorry.

Jethro.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Sorry, I just realized that there is a page for Rancid 3.x.
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/cmwrancid
>
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:19 AM Ugo Bellavance <ugob@lubik.ca> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM FESSARD, Remi <
> > Remi.FESSARD@knorr-bremse.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> We bought a switch HPE 5700-32XGT-8XG-2QSFP2 and display commands on it
> >> are:
> >>

> >> - display version
> >> - display startup
> >> - display device
> >> - display device manuinfo
> >> - display transceiver manuinfo interface
> >> - display debugging
> >> - display current-configuration
> >>

> >> Do you, please, give the device type that I have to define in Rancid to
> >> save it ?
> >>

> >> Bonjour R?mi,
> >
> > We're using HPE A5800 switches and they use similar syntax (Comware). I
> > don't know exactly what to use in your case but back in the time where we
> > configured them with rancid, there was a device type called "h3c".
> >
> > You may have a look here:
> >
> > https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/h3c
> >
> > When I received the switches, the author of this page (Jethro Binks)
> > kindly worked (a lot) to adapt his scripts so that it works with the HP
> > A5800 (although he didn't have one to test). It's still working as of now.
> > Ours is Comware 5-based, but the A5900 is in the list of tested models and
> > is apparently Comware 7 based. I don't know why it hasn't been merged into
> > rancid.
> >
> > I think, though, that these switches have a compatibility mode that would
> > let you use the hp device type (procurve syntax).
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > Ugo Bellavance (ugob@lubik.ca)
> >

> --
> Ugo Bellavance (ugob@lubik.ca)

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.