Rancid version: 3.9
Device: Dell PowerConnect M8024-k

The Observium PHP script to generate the rancid router.db classifies the switch as "dell" - is this correct? I'm lead to believe it may have to be "smc".

I have tried both, but neither seems to successfully pull the config. The process seems to just hang indefinitely.

Testing using: /opt/rancid/bin/clogin -c"show version;" 10.x.x.x seems to work correctly.

Logs seem to suggest:
10.x.x.x: End of run not found

Dennis.
Re: Rancid with Dell PowerConnect M8024-k [ In reply to ]
Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 03:53:39AM +0000, Dennis Jasch:
> Hi,
>
> I have been Googleing a lot on how to get this to work, but had no luck yet.
>
> Observium version: 19.7.9977
> Rancid version: 3.9
> Device: Dell PowerConnect M8024-k
>
> The Observium PHP script to generate the rancid router.db classifies the switch as "dell" - is this correct? I'm lead to believe it may have to be "smc".

I can not say, I do not know this device and dell OEMs all of their
switch h/w, except perhaps white box h/w. If the cli and config look
like another device type in rancid, then that type will likely work.
Else, perhaps show an example of the cli and config to the list.

smc would be my guess as well. so, maybe show us the errors and try
the debug procedure from the FAQ S3 Q2.

If you discover one, please lmk and I will document it in rancid.types.base
along with the others.

Re: Rancid with Dell PowerConnect M8024-k [ In reply to ]
We have around 100 Dell M8024-k switches and use device type smc with no
issues.

Regards,
Ryan

Re: Rancid with Dell PowerConnect M8024-k [ In reply to ]
Hi,

may I ask, if that is via telnet or SSH? And which version of rancid you are using? Autoenable is set o 0, I presume?

Regards,
Dennis.

________________________________
EXTERNAL: This email originated from outside Anticlockwise.

Re: Rancid with Dell PowerConnect M8024-k [ In reply to ]
Its through SSH. We use RADIUS so upon logging into the switches you're
already at the enable prompt. So I do have autoenable set to 1.

I'm using rancid 3.7 and 3.4. I just setup 3.9 on a different machine and
copied my routers.db file over along with the .cloginrc and it worked
without issue.

For giggles I set autoenable to 0 and changed my ssh configuration on the
switch to remove autoenable and specified an enable password in .cloginrc.
RANCID ran and backed up without issue.

Whats in your rancid logs? What version of the switch are you running?
The reason you should use smc over dell is because the show run command the
dell device type uses doesn't work on the m8024k. But also because in
rancid.types.base it says to use it for the m8024k :P