#LOCKTIME=4; export LOCKTIME

I have noticed this issue since I first built a new rancid 3.8 system - just never got around to trying to fix it until now. I have never seen this issue on the other rancid servers 2.x we have. Aside from version difference, the only notable difference I can think of is that our LIST_OF_GROUPS is fairly long at 332 entries and counting.

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot further?
Re: Rancid running numerous times for each group? Getting ~40 config fetcher email alerts for same group in a night [ In reply to ]
Fri, May 24, 2019 at 04:17:09PM +0000, Ni Ne:
> Running ranicd 3.8 on CentOS 6.10, using git as the repo type.
>
> It appears rancid is running numerous times against the same group in a given night - at least if config fetches fail.
>
> For instance, I have one group with some problematic devices, and I got 39 "config fetcher" emails for that same group. Looking at logs, it appears rancid is parsing every group approximately the same number of times.
>
> There is only one cronjob that kicks off rancid on the entire system:
>
> * 0 * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run

man 5 crontab

min hr dom mon dow cmd

Re: Rancid running numerous times for each group? Getting ~40 config fetcher email alerts for same group in a night [ In reply to ]
>> Running ranicd 3.8 on CentOS 6.10, using git as the repo type.
>>
>> It appears rancid is running numerous times against the same group in a given night - at least if config fetches fail.
>>
>> For instance, I have one group with some problematic devices, and I got 39 "config fetcher" emails for that same group. Looking at logs, it appears rancid is parsing every group approximately the same number of times.
>>
>> There is only one cronjob that kicks off rancid on the entire system:
>>
>> * 0 * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run

> man 5 crontab

> min hr dom mon dow cmd

That looks right to me. Should kick off every night at midnight. Which it's doing. An entire run takes about 4 hours or so. All logs/emails from a nightly run arrive within that time-frame - 12am - 4am.
Re: Rancid running numerous times for each group? Getting ~40 config fetcher email alerts for same group in a night [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 04:44:23PM +0000, Ni Ne wrote:
> >> Running ranicd 3.8 on CentOS 6.10, using git as the repo type.
> >>
> >> It appears rancid is running numerous times against the same group in a given night - at least if config fetches fail.
> >>
> >> For instance, I have one group with some problematic devices, and I got 39 "config fetcher" emails for that same group. Looking at logs, it appears rancid is parsing every group approximately the same number of times.
> >>
> >> There is only one cronjob that kicks off rancid on the entire system:
> >>
> >> * 0 * * * /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run
>
> > man 5 crontab
>
> > min hr dom mon dow cmd
>
> That looks right to me. Should kick off every night at midnight. Which it's doing. An entire run takes about 4 hours or so. All logs/emails from a nightly run arrive within that time-frame - 12am - 4am.

No, it says to run:

* - every minute
0 - of the 0 hour
* - of every day of month
* - of every month
* - of every day of week

So I'd expect 60 copies to be run at midnight every night.