World Headquarters | One OverDrive Way | Cleveland, Ohio 44125 USA
www.overdrive.com<http://www.overdrive.com/> Proud to be a Certified B Corp<https://bcorporation.net/>

Confidentiality Notice: This email and any attachments are OverDrive Confidential for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email and attachments by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete any copies of this email.
Re: Rancid - Changing Config Backup Directory [ In reply to ]
Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Thad Davis:
> Hello,
>
> My company is running Rancid on Ubuntu 16.04. Currently, our server running Rancid is not backed up. If we lose this server, we lose our saved configs. Is there a way to change the default save location for config backups to a UNC network path to a windows server? If this is possible, can you tell me which file to edit with the new save location?

you can use a symlink. or move it and update rancid.conf.

but, the SCMs use filesystem locking to ensure that processes do not collide.
the onus is yours to ensure that your NFS supports locking properly (I can
not advise you about Windows; suggest that such questions are directed to a
Windows forum). I would instead recommend that you switch to git and add a
secondary remote (see the rancid FAQ).

Re: Rancid - Changing Config Backup Directory [ In reply to ]
Any reason you don't just have a regular process that clones your
version control repository? (whether it's svn or cvs or git, it makes no
difference, per se)

Once you set it up, you just automate the synchronization process.

On 4/11/2019 10:14 AM, Thad Davis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ?
>
> My company is running Rancid on Ubuntu 16.04. Currently, our server
> running Rancid is not backed up. If we lose this server, we lose our
> saved configs. Is there a way to change the default save location for
> config backups to a UNC network path to a windows server? If this is
> possible, can you tell me which file to edit with the new save location?
>
> ?
>
> *Thad Davis*, /Systems Administrator I/
>
> /Information Technology/
>
> Phone: +1 216-573-6886 x 1562
>
> Fax: +1 216-573-6888
>
> tdavis@rakuten.overdrive.com <mailto:tdavis@rakuten.overdrive.com>
>
> *?*
>
> *Rakuten OverDrive^? */The Leading Digital Reading Platform for
> Libraries & Schools?? /
>
> World Headquarters | One OverDrive Way | Cleveland, Ohio 44125? USA
>
> www.overdrive.com <http://www.overdrive.com/>??? Proud to be a
> Certified B Corp <https://bcorporation.net/>
>
> ?
>
> Confidentiality Notice:? This email and any attachments are OverDrive
> Confidential for the sole use of the intended recipient.? Any review,
> copying, or distribution of this email and attachments by others is
> strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> contact the sender immediately and permanently delete any copies of
> this email.
>
> ?

Doug Hughes
Keystone NAP
Fairless Hills, PA
1.844.KEYBLOCK (439.2562)
Re: Rancid - Changing Config Backup Directory [ In reply to ]
Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 01:16:43PM -0400, Doug Hughes:
> Any reason you don't just have a regular process that clones your
> version control repository? (whether it's svn or cvs or git, it makes no
> difference, per se)
>
> Once you set it up, you just automate the synchronization process.

only "clone"ing in git retains your history (ie: is complete). which is
why i suggested switching.

Re: Rancid - Changing Config Backup Directory [ In reply to ]
Use git. You won't regret it. The command syntax will seem abstruse at first, because it is, but that's par for the course for version control software. They all have profoundly stupid and clumsy command interfaces.

Git can automatically propagate (i.e. backup) to any number of other systems. Google "git hooks" and you should be able to figure out something suited to your particular situation.

--Charlie