- !Flash: logflash: 7 GB total (89% free)
+ !Flash: logflash: 7 GB total (90% free)

IOSXE:
- !Flash: harddisk: 118084341760 bytes total (104 GB free)
+ !Flash: harddisk: 118084341760 bytes total (103 GB free)

We are on RANCiD latest (v3.9) and everything is working great as always. I would simply like to reduce the chatter emails. We know we can remove the checks altogether but think there is a more elegant solution that would perhaps allow us to not care about the 1GB changes (as big logs sometimes churn on our IOS-XE devices).

Thank you Heasley and everyone that has made this such a great product!

--Ken

Re: Filter/Change filesize thresholds IOS-XE/NXOS [ In reply to ]
Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 08:24:12PM +0000, Kenneth Lind:
> We have been long time members of this list and see similar issues mentioned but we would like to be able to fine tune some of the controls related to how diffs are generated in relation to file size changes such as the following:
>
> NXOS:
> - !Flash: logflash: 7 GB total (89% free)
> + !Flash: logflash: 7 GB total (90% free)
>
> IOSXE:
> - !Flash: harddisk: 118084341760 bytes total (104 GB free)
> + !Flash: harddisk: 118084341760 bytes total (103 GB free)
>

> We are on RANCiD latest (v3.9) and everything is working great as always. I would simply like to reduce the chatter emails. We know we can remove the checks altogether but think there is a more elegant solution that would perhaps allow us to not care about the 1GB changes (as big logs sometimes churn on our IOS-XE devices).

you can create your own device type that does not include the dir commands
or one with your own filter function for the dir commands that removes the
usage line.

otherwise, i havent currently an easier way to filter. I am thinking that
a user-specified post-filter might be useful for such things. I think that
ought to be per-device type. Should there also be a pre-filter? Sexier
would be a context aware filter that retained the changes but filtered the
diffs.

Re: Filter/Change filesize thresholds IOS-XE/NXOS [ In reply to ]
> am thinking that a user-specified post-filter might be useful for such things. I think that ought to be per-device type.

Indeed - We added a couple of device types to cover the nuisance diffs for situations such as this, as it was the easiest way to control when and when not to do things.
A post-filter would simplify a lot of that, though - as I currently maintain close to a dozen diffs between updates for our niche cases.

> Should there also be a pre-filter?

Not sure about a pre-filter... I could see that having unanticipated results with output from stock rancid functions and cases.
Unless pre-filtered lines include an identifier "this was pre-filtered. Don't touch it" check to avoid such calamities and or confusion.