Mailing List Archive

mtrancid +- connection closed? Conf Diff
Hello friends,

Just have a question regarding mtrancid
For some reason I have been getting router config diffs emails which
contain only +- connection close, which doesn't reflect a config change and
is strange.

This only occurs on 1-2 devices

Rancid 3.6.1
=====================================
Sample

Revision 100
- Connection to <myrouter> closed.

=====================================

Revision 98

+ Connection to <myrouter> closed.

=====================================

Mtrancid consists of
systempackageprintdetail
systemrouterboardprint
export

It seems that mtrancid is picking up the SSH session close
Logs do not show any errors which means its reaching the end of run and has
a clean exit right?

I am able to run all these commands with no problem and rancid-run gives me
no errors/hiccups.
Execution is smooth and does not have any delays (<1minute)

If there was a problem, the end-of-run detection would pick it up?

Just going through the script and I can’t seem to identify where/why this
would get picked up.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before. I could always
filter out the "connection closed" but I am curious why this is happening.

Many thanks
Re: mtrancid +- connection closed? Conf Diff [ In reply to ]
Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 03:06:31PM -0800, Jason Wu:
> Hello friends,
>
> Just have a question regarding mtrancid
> For some reason I have been getting router config diffs emails which
> contain only +- connection close, which doesn't reflect a config change and
> is strange.
>
> This only occurs on 1-2 devices
>
> Rancid 3.6.1
> =====================================
> Sample
>
> Revision 100
> - Connection to <myrouter> closed.
>
> =====================================
>
> Revision 98
>
> + Connection to <myrouter> closed.
>

> =====================================
>
> Mtrancid consists of
> systempackageprintdetail
> systemrouterboardprint
> export
>
> It seems that mtrancid is picking up the SSH session close
> Logs do not show any errors which means its reaching the end of run and has
> a clean exit right?

yes.

are these running the same versoin as the routers that are not exibiting
the error? does it occur with any regularity? can you reproduce it
running mtrancid at the shell?

Re: mtrancid +- connection closed? Conf Diff [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your response

Yup, these routers are running on version 6.38.7 along side with routers
that do not have this issue.
There does not seem to be any regularity/pattern to this. As the dates are
rather staggered apart. Some days it'll be continuous for a week other
times it'll be a week before re-appearing.

I am unable to reproduce it running mtrancid at the shell.(No email for a
configuration diff). Going through the different SVN diffs gives me

-Connection to <myrouter> closed
============================
+Connection to <myrouter> closed

thanks for your time

Re: mtrancid +- connection closed? Conf Diff [ In reply to ]
Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 01:04:35PM -0800, Jason Wu:
> Thank you for your response
>
> Yup, these routers are running on version 6.38.7 along side with routers
> that do not have this issue.
> There does not seem to be any regularity/pattern to this. As the dates are
> rather staggered apart. Some days it'll be continuous for a week other
> times it'll be a week before re-appearing.
>
> I am unable to reproduce it running mtrancid at the shell.(No email for a
> configuration diff). Going through the different SVN diffs gives me
>
> -Connection to <myrouter> closed
> ============================
> +Connection to <myrouter> closed
>
> thanks for your time

Could you show me more context around this line from the file in the
configs/ directory?

How kinky are you willing to be to collect debug info? If NOPIPE=YES is
set in rancid.conf and -d is added to the script line in rancid.types.base,
then .raw files will be left behind and the rancid-run cron can be altered
to collect those files, like so:

<timespec> <rancid-run cmd>; ; D=`date +\%Y-\%m-\%d:\%H`; mkdir -p tmp/$D && cp -p <rancidgroupname>/configs/*.raw tmp/$D

and when you next discover the change, we look at the input in detail.