Mailing List Archive

problems with PowerConnect switches
Hi,

I have a PowerConnect 5448 that I am having trouble with. If I run the steps manually it's fine, but using rancid-run always fails.

The router.db file is:
pc5448;powerconnect;up

The etc/rancid.types.conf section is:

powerconnect;script;rancid -t powerconnect
powerconnect;login;clogin
powerconnect;module;dell
powerconnect;inloop;dell::inloop
powerconnect;command;dell::GetSystem;show system
powerconnect;command;dell::GetConf;show running-config

and all the info in .clogin is fine.

If I manually run clogin for that switch, it has no problems. Then running 'show system' and 'show running-config' gives no problems.

If I run 'bin/rancid-run -r pc5448', the error messages are:

Trying to get all of the configs.

pc5448: missed cmd(s): all commands
pc5448: End of run not found
pc5448 dllogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached

I cannot figure out why rancid-run is trying to use dllogin when I have nothing that says to use it. Can someone help me sort this out?

Thanks,
Wayne

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 10:18:54AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PowerConnect 5448 that I am having trouble with. If I run the steps manually it's fine, but using rancid-run always fails.
>
> The router.db file is:
> pc5448;powerconnect;up
>
> The etc/rancid.types.conf section is:
>
> powerconnect;script;rancid -t powerconnect
> powerconnect;login;clogin
> powerconnect;module;dell
> powerconnect;inloop;dell::inloop
> powerconnect;command;dell::GetSystem;show system
> powerconnect;command;dell::GetConf;show running-config
>
> and all the info in .clogin is fine.
>
> If I manually run clogin for that switch, it has no problems. Then running 'show system' and 'show running-config' gives no problems.

meaning that
clogin -c 'show system;show running-config' hostname
completes w/o a timeout? if so, that implies to me that either a pager is
involving itself in an unrecognized manner or there is other unrecognized
input preventing it from finding the prompt reliably, possibly due to TERM
settings (and poor defaults). that could be tested, or it might debugging
to, run that clogin from cron to see how it acts w/o a terminal.

> If I run 'bin/rancid-run -r pc5448', the error messages are:
>
> Trying to get all of the configs.
>
> pc5448: missed cmd(s): all commands
> pc5448: End of run not found
> pc5448 dllogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
>

> I cannot figure out why rancid-run is trying to use dllogin when I have nothing that says to use it. Can someone help me sort this out?

its not, its just the hard-coded error msg of dell.pm.

> Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 10:18:54AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a PowerConnect 5448 that I am having trouble with. If I run the steps
> manually it's fine, but using rancid-run always fails.
> >
> > The router.db file is:
> > pc5448;powerconnect;up
> >
> > The etc/rancid.types.conf section is:
> >
> > powerconnect;script;rancid -t powerconnect powerconnect;login;clogin
> > powerconnect;module;dell powerconnect;inloop;dell::inloop
> > powerconnect;command;dell::GetSystem;show system
> > powerconnect;command;dell::GetConf;show running-config
> >
> > and all the info in .clogin is fine.
> >
> > If I manually run clogin for that switch, it has no problems. Then running
> 'show system' and 'show running-config' gives no problems.

> meaning that
> clogin -c 'show system;show running-config' hostname completes w/o a
> timeout? if so, that implies to me that either a pager is involving itself in an
> unrecognized manner or there is other unrecognized input preventing it
> from finding the prompt reliably, possibly due to TERM settings (and poor
> defaults). that could be tested, or it might debugging to, run that clogin from
> cron to see how it acts w/o a terminal.

That results in:

User Name:admin
Password:************

console#
console# terminal length 0
% Unrecognized command

What is issuing the 'terminal length 0' command?

Wayne

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 06:51:01AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

clogin. how is the pager disabled on that device?

> Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 06:51:01AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

'terminal datadump' for both devices

Interestingly enough, the 'show system' and 'show version' outputs of both switches look amazingly similar to each other. I don't know who copied who, but the command sets look very similar.

Wayne

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

you need a login script that sends that command.

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
> Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

Thanks. That got me pointed in the right direction. The built-in cisco-sb type and csblogin script seems to do the job.

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 06:49:20AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:
> > Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

does the cisco-sb type work without modification? That would be useful
info to document.

Re: problems with PowerConnect switches [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/2018 15:32, 'heasley' wrote:
> Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:
>>>
>>> switches look amazingly similar to each other. I don't know who copied who,
>>> but the command sets look very similar.

It's not a case of Cisco copying Dell or vice versa - they've both
bought the same switching platform from Marvell. I am sure that it's
more than just Dell and Cisco selling it, for that matter.

> does the cisco-sb type work without modification? That would be useful
> info to document.

Need a wiki page of what-equipment-masquerades-as-what, or a repository
of sample device configs that some clever algorithm can compare and spit
out a similarity %age.  Paste your config into it and it tells you which
backend to use.

alexd

> Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 06:49:20AM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:
> > > Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 09:12:00PM +0000, Wayne Eisenberg:

Yes they do.