Mailing List Archive

error after migrating to new server
Recently we have migrated from our in house setup to AWS.  Rancid is installed on Amazon Linux 2, but i'm seeing this issue in the logs:
cat NetworkDevices.20181016.140101starting: Tue Oct 16 14:01:01 UTC 2018

Trying to get all of the configs./usr/bin/control_rancid: line 503: par: command not found=====================================Getting missed routers: round 1./usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found=====================================Getting missed routers: round 2./usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found=====================================Getting missed routers: round 3./usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found=====================================Getting missed routers: round 4./usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found
On branch masterYour branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working tree cleanEverything up-to-date
ending: Tue Oct 16 14:01:01 UTC 2018
Is this a command that didn't get installed?
Re: error after migrating to new server [ In reply to ]
Short answer, yes. But "par" is troublesome.

RANCiD needs a program by that name for "parallel command processing", but the name conflicts with other software packages, particularly on Ubuntu linux as I recall. I don't know if it conflicts with Amazon's linux.

I renamed it to rancid_par back when I built the Red Hat packages of RANCiD 3.4.1, but I haven't done so in more recent packages because I don't need any of the other programs named "par" on any of my Red Hat boxen.

--Charlie

=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 1.
/usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 2.
/usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 3.
/usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
/usr/bin/control_rancid: line 533: par: command not found

On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean
Everything up-to-date

ending: Tue Oct 16 14:01:01 UTC 2018

Is this a command that didn't get installed?

------------------ CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ---------------

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain privileged confidential information
protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
of this message is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this message.

Re: error after migrating to new server [ In reply to ]
also, it seems you installed it under /usr/bin, best practices for rancid & package management in general is not do this. perhaps install it under the rancid user's homedir & make sure $HOME/bin is in your $PATH first. second option is that you used a vendor provided rancid package instead of building from source, which might not include par. third option is that your cron or whatever scheduler you're using is does not have par in it's $PATH.

// nick

[...]

________________________________

Volg Aquafin op Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/AquafinNV> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/aquafinnv> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk_4P5BJ-MtEEDCkCsR_KqQ?feature=mhee> | LinkedIN<http://www.linkedin.com/company/aquafin/products>

In het kader van de uitoefening van onze taken verzamelen we bij Aquafin persoonsgegevens. Hoe we omgaan met deze gegevens en wat de rechten van de betrokkenen zijn, kan je nalezen in onze privacy policy<https://www.aquafin.be/nl-be/privacy-policy>.

[https://www.aquafin.be/sites/aquafin/files/styles/paragraph_with_caption/public/2018-08/email_banner_web_0.jpg]<https://www.chap-eau.be/>
P Denk aan het milieu. Druk deze mail niet onnodig af.

Re: error after migrating to new server [ In reply to ]
The "file" command says it's an executable image, not a script.

[charlie@gitdrome ~]# file /usr/libexec/rancid/par

/usr/libexec/rancid/par: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=968bbb9325486639b0fd1294bebcfef7c67317ed, stripped

If you've found the correct par (and not one of the other programs of the same name) then like Nick said you need to make sure it's in the PATH of the user executing rancid-run.

--Charlie

________________________________

contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this message.      ------------------  CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE  ---------------
Re: error after migrating to new server [ In reply to ]
Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 03:06:53PM +0000, Andrew Meyer:
> Is this a perl/python or something else command?? I think I found the package in Amazon Linux.

its a command that comes with rancid. my guess is one of

- you copied rancid from another machine and missed it
- the pre-built package you installed is broken
- you copied rancid.conf from another machine and its PATH doesnt match,
so it cant find par.
- you deleted it somehow
- you're using an old version of rancid, when par was a perl script, and
the interpretter line is wrong
- par lacks executable mode bits

Re: error after migrating to new server [ In reply to ]
I fixed.  Had to create a symlink from, /usr/bin/par to /usr/libexec/rancid/par.
Thank you!