Mailing List Archive

RANCID and gitweb - preventing the CVS repo path from showing
Upgraded my old RANCID software to the latest, and switched from CVS to git. I also installed gitweb as the WebUI interface for browsing RANCID files.

One minor annoyance I ran into was not only was every group folder being displayed (e.g, switches, routers, firewalls, etc) but the CVS path of each was displayed as well.

So the gitweb page would show something like this:

firewall/.git
router/.git
switch/.git
CVS/firewall
CVS/router
CVS/switch

Makes the page quite cluttered when you have a ton of different groups. I am guessing it has to do with how RANCID originally would store CVS files, versus how git expects to handle them.

Here is an easy way I found to hide all of the CVS/* instances of those paths on gitweb:

Modify your gitweb configuration file (e.g, /etc/gitweb.conf) and add this line somewhere:

our $export_ok = "COMMIT_EDITMSG";

note: this doesn't prevent webui access to those other repos, if someone types in the full URL manually. It just cleans up the gitweb portal a bit.

That forces gitweb to only display repo paths that have that file present. Poking around I see only the actual configuration directory paths do, not the CVS variants.

If anyone knows of a better solution, or other steps one should take to more fully move away from CVS to git inside of RANCID, please let me know!

-Aaron
This message contains information that may be confidential, privileged or otherwise protected by law from disclosure. It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and only the addressee or authorized agent of the addressee may review, copy, distribute or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained within. If you are not the addressee, please contact the sender by electronic reply and immediately delete all copies of the message. This message is not an offer capable of acceptance, does not create an obligation of any kind and no recipient may rely on this message.
Re: RANCID and gitweb - preventing the CVS repo path from showing [ In reply to ]
Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 12:04:01AM +0000, Aaron Wasserott:
> Upgraded my old RANCID software to the latest, and switched from CVS to git. I also installed gitweb as the WebUI interface for browsing RANCID files.
>
> One minor annoyance I ran into was not only was every group folder being displayed (e.g, switches, routers, firewalls, etc) but the CVS path of each was displayed as well.
>
> So the gitweb page would show something like this:
>
> firewall/.git
> router/.git
> switch/.git
> CVS/firewall
> CVS/router
> CVS/switch

The one that i have uses
our $projects_list = "/path/rancid/etc/gitweb.conf";
that is built hourly with a list of groups,
<group1>/.git
<group2>/.git

CVS/* do not appear.