Mailing List Archive

OSPF network point-to-point not working
Latest CVS quagga and previous versions
Config:
interface eth0
ip ospf network point-to-point
!

When starting ospfd:
ospfd: ospf_interface.c:141: ospf_add_to_if: Assertion `! rn->info ||
rn->info == oi' failed.
Aborted

quagga configured with

./configure --disable-ipv6 --disable-ospf6d --disable-ripd
--disable-ripngd --disable-vtysh --enable-multipath=0 --enable-nssa
--enable-user=root --enable-group=root

Even zebra-0.94 has the same problem. One can't set the network type to
point-to-point. When configured in vty ospfd doesen't complain - it
doesn't work though.

--
Bogdan Zapca
Romania Data Systems NOC in Bucharest
Re: OSPF network point-to-point not working [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:51:52AM +0300, Bogdan Zapca wrote:
> Latest CVS quagga and previous versions
> Config:
> interface eth0
> ip ospf network point-to-point
> !
>
> When starting ospfd:
> ospfd: ospf_interface.c:141: ospf_add_to_if: Assertion `! rn->info ||
> rn->info == oi' failed.

I've seen the same assertion failure with multiple ethernet interfaces
configured pointopoint with the same broadcast address.

For interfaces configured pointopoint with ifconfig (on linux 2.4.20,
at least), co->destination in ospf_network_run() contains the *broadcast*
address of the interface, not the *peer* address. ospf_if_is_configured()
now fails to match, leading to ospf_network_run() adding the same
interfaces multiple times to the oilist. Things go rapidly downhill
from there ... sooner or later rn->info points to a different oi in the
oilist to the one expected by ospf_add_to_if() for that interface.

My work-around was to use the iputils 'ip' utility to configure the
interface (e.g. ip ad ad xxx.xx.xxx.xx/32 peer xxx.xx.xxx.xx/32 dev ethx).
Then co->destination comes out with the correct peer address and the
problem does not occur!

Regards,

Mark.
Re: OSPF network point-to-point not working [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bogdan Zapca wrote:

> Latest CVS quagga and previous versions
> Config:
> interface eth0
> ip ospf network point-to-point
> !
>
> When starting ospfd:
> ospfd: ospf_interface.c:141: ospf_add_to_if: Assertion `! rn->info ||
> rn->info == oi' failed.
> Aborted
>

> quagga configured with
>
> ./configure --disable-ipv6 --disable-ospf6d --disable-ripd
> --disable-ripngd --disable-vtysh --enable-multipath=0 --enable-nssa
> --enable-user=root --enable-group=root
>

> Even zebra-0.94 has the same problem. One can't set the network type to
> point-to-point. When configured in vty ospfd doesen't complain - it
> doesn't work though.

what are the addresses on the interface?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: OSPF network point-to-point not working [ In reply to ]
Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bogdan Zapca wrote:
>

>>Latest CVS quagga and previous versions
>>Config:
>>interface eth0
>> ip ospf network point-to-point
>>!
>>
>>When starting ospfd:
>>ospfd: ospf_interface.c:141: ospf_add_to_if: Assertion `! rn->info ||
>>rn->info == oi' failed.
>>Aborted
>>

>>quagga configured with
>>
>>./configure --disable-ipv6 --disable-ospf6d --disable-ripd
>>--disable-ripngd --disable-vtysh --enable-multipath=0 --enable-nssa
>>--enable-user=root --enable-group=root
>>

>>Even zebra-0.94 has the same problem. One can't set the network type to
>>point-to-point. When configured in vty ospfd doesen't complain - it
>>doesn't work though.
>

> what are the addresses on the interface?
>
> regards,

There is just one address on the interface with a /24 netmask.
The interface type is ethernet.
I just want to make an ethernet segment NBMA in order to avoid the DR
election.
The network is like:

R1----------X------R2
\ | | | /
\ R3 R4 R5 /
\ /
\ /
RA-------RB

X represents the link interruption. I want to avoid R2 becoming the DR
for the R2-R5 segment as this would make the directly connected IP's on
R3 and R4 inaccesible(R2 is preffered over R1 as the network id originator)

Re: OSPF network point-to-point not working [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bogdan Zapca wrote:

> There is just one address on the interface with a /24 netmask. The
> interface type is ethernet. I just want to make an ethernet segment
> NBMA in order to avoid the DR election. The network is like:

so use network non-broadcast-multi-access, not PtP and then the
neighbor statements.

> R1----------X------R2
> \ | | | /
> \ R3 R4 R5 /
> \ /
> \ /
> RA-------RB
>
> X represents the link interruption. I want to avoid R2 becoming the
> DR for the R2-R5 segment as this would make the directly connected
> IP's on R3 and R4 inaccesible(R2 is preffered over R1 as the
> network id originator)

hmm.. why not use 'ip ospf priority XX'?

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
Your password is pitifully obvious.
Re: OSPF network point-to-point not working [ In reply to ]
Paul Jakma wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Bogdan Zapca wrote:
>

>>There is just one address on the interface with a /24 netmask. The
>>interface type is ethernet. I just want to make an ethernet segment
>>NBMA in order to avoid the DR election. The network is like:
>

> so use network non-broadcast-multi-access, not PtP and then the
> neighbor statements.

I was wrong stating that a NBMA network will not imply a DR election -
it does and thus my problem is not solved.

There is a problem with "network point-to-point" that remains in question.

>> R1----------X------R2
>> \ | | | /
>> \ R3 R4 R5 /
>> \ /
>> \ /
>> RA-------RB
>>
>>X represents the link interruption. I want to avoid R2 becoming the
>>DR for the R2-R5 segment as this would make the directly connected
>>IP's on R3 and R4 inaccesible(R2 is preffered over R1 as the
>>network id originator)
>

> hmm.. why not use 'ip ospf priority XX'?

I just don't want to have a DR|BDR on an ethernet segment with just 2
ospf speaking routers(R2 and R5), I'm not trying to force a DR.