OS support (OT from testbed stuff)
Can I appeal to those with excessive enthusiasm not to turn this into a
"Linux only" project ?

I know various people running Zebra on the *BSDs and others. Building a test
network is a great idea, but please give a nod at least - in development and
testing - to non-Linux OSes.

I am happy to carry the OpenBSD testing and dev for a while.

Peter
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:

> Can I appeal to those with excessive enthusiasm not to turn this into a
> "Linux only" project ?
>
> I know various people running Zebra on the *BSDs and others. Building a test
> network is a great idea, but please give a nod at least - in development and
> testing - to non-Linux OSes.
>
> I am happy to carry the OpenBSD testing and dev for a while.
>
> Peter

I don't think that anyone has suggested or implied that we would test
linux only. I at least simply stated which ARCHITECTURES I was capable or
testing on. I didn't mention OS's. (At least I don't THINK I did!)

I run Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris on X68, MIPS and SPARC
architectures and as time and resources permit, I will be testing on every
platform I can.

--
John Fraizer | High-Security Datacenter Services |
President | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
John Fraizer wrote:
> I don't think that anyone has suggested or implied that we would test
> linux only. I at least simply stated which ARCHITECTURES I was
> capable or testing on. I didn't mention OS's. (At least I don't
> THINK I did!)
>
> I run Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris on X68, MIPS and SPARC
> architectures and as time and resources permit, I will be testing on
> every platform I can.

Sorry - I wasn't pointing at anyone specific - I was just throwing my view
into the pot. There will be an (inevitable) initial enthusiasm for this
project and many folk who have never written 'mission critical' code will be
contributing their personal recipies for world domination - er, "DANGER".
Without wanting to sound off key, I want to be one of those crotchety old
folk who says "been there, done that, try again" while not actually getting
in the way of progress. I hope. And maybe even contibuting useful stuff.

peter
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
Peter Galbavy wrote:
> Can I appeal to those with excessive enthusiasm not to turn this into a
> "Linux only" project ?
>
> I know various people running Zebra on the *BSDs and others.

Indeed MANY people preffer to use *BSD on networked hosts for reasons
I'll not comment here. So I definitely support keeping quagga NOT "Linux
only" project.

Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
John Fraizer wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Peter Galbavy wrote:
>

> I run Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Solaris on X68, MIPS and SPARC
> architectures and as time and resources permit, I will be testing on every
> platform I can.

Same here, running Open/Free/NetBSD/Solaris/Linux on i386 and a ton of
Cisco gear in the vicinity. Happy to be of assistance for testing.

Regards,
Gernot

--
Dipl.-Ing. Gernot W. Schmied, MS Network Architecture & Operations
Senior Strategist Research Group
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
I'll be running tests on IA64 (HP boxes of course).

-- Peter

P.S.: Nice job burning the midnight oil on launching Quagga. I must
assume it feels good to be the masters of your own fate.
Congratulations!!!
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Gernot W. Schmied wrote:

> Same here, running Open/Free/NetBSD/Solaris/Linux on i386 and a ton
> of Cisco gear in the vicinity. Happy to be of assistance for
> testing.

One thing that would be /really/ useful is to test out patches posted
to the list. eg see quagga-dev 34 and 35 - it would be great to hear
"well, bar-d still works with that patch".

> Regards,
> Gernot

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
Has anyone built quagga on FreeBSD ? If so, what bits did you use to
configure and compile it ? The autoconf in the ports seems to barf with the
.ac file.

---Mike

Re: OS support (OT from testbed stuff) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Has anyone built quagga on FreeBSD ? If so, what bits did you use to
> configure and compile it ? The autoconf in the ports seems to barf with the
> .ac file.

get a snapshot, rather than a cvs checkout. the snapshot shouldnt
be dependent on autoconf tools - the build files are already there.

> ---Mike

regards,
--
Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A
warning: do not ever send email to spam@dishone.st
Fortune:
"The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
we could with both of them."
-- Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"