Mailing List Archive

Moving large list to qmail
Evan Champion writes:
> I am currently serving a 40K user mailing list with sendmail/Majordomo on
> BSD/OS 2.1 Pentium 100, 96 MB RAM (dedicated mail machine, just runs mail
> and named).

> I guess what I'm asking is "is this a relatively sane thing to do"? Does
> anyone here run a list that large out of qmail/qlist?

It will suck a lot less. 40K users is a LOT. You'll want to bump up
the remoteconcurrency limit up to the max your machine will support,
otherwise you'll be delivering messages all day.

I suggest that you use my bounce manager also (it's on www.qmail.org).
It handles every type of bounce message known to man (by ignoring the
body, since some of them are more confusing than useful). It uses
VERP to tag each outgoing message with the recipient's address (in the
envelope sender address), so that when the bounces come back, it knows
*precisely* who the offending user is. They get seven days of
bouncing, at which point if they're fifty messages bounced, they're
off the list. A month later it sends a reminder to them that they
were removed. Any email problem that isn't fixed in a month is pretty
permanent.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok