Mailing List Archive

Moving large list to qmail
I am currently serving a 40K user mailing list with sendmail/Majordomo on
BSD/OS 2.1 Pentium 100, 96 MB RAM (dedicated mail machine, just runs mail
and named).

As you can probably guess, sendmail/Majordomo is killing the machine
every time a message goes out to that list. This happens no matter what
delivery software I use ie: bulk_mailer or tlb with various configurations.

Since I'm running this list as a net-service, I'm looking for a free or
cheap way to make things run a little most smoothly. I am thinking about
switching the server over to use qmail and qlist.

I guess what I'm asking is "is this a relatively sane thing to do"? Does
anyone here run a list that large out of qmail/qlist?

Evan
--
Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau