Mailing List Archive

List mail queue?
Does qmail have a command like 'mailq' which lists (in a nice format) the
contents of the mail queue?

Evan
--
Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau
http://www.synapse.net/ * Synapse Internet
Re: List mail queue? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

qmail-qstat reports total statistics,
qmail-qread prints the queue contents

I prefer to use

qmail-qread | grep -v done

to get a listing of undelivered messages.
Everything is documented in man pages...

Vytautas Vysniauskas e-mail: vytasvy@osf.lt
tel: +370-2-611408
UNIX systems administrator
Open Society Fund of Lithuania,

Re: List mail queue? [ In reply to ]
On 2 Mar 1997, Vytautas Vysniauskas wrote:

> qmail-qstat reports total statistics,
> qmail-qread prints the queue contents

qmail-qread does just what I wanted, except that it lists all the
addresses a message is going to. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it is
very bad, like when something just got sent to a big mailing list :-)

As a future enhancement, could qmail-qread have an option to "summarise"
the distribution list? ie:

2 Mar 1997 14:46:29 GMT #460993 3366 <sender>
3000 deliveries pending

Evan
Re: List mail queue? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Patrick Michael Kane wrote:

> Do up a perl script wrapper. Probably needs to be about 4 lines long.

That's not the problem. The problem is the time it takes for qmail-qread
to run itself. Doing qmail-qread | grep -v remote took 38.42 real seconds
(reported by time) to show 46 messages with a combined total of 270000
recipients. This machine is just running 1 (admittedly very big) mailing
list, so it's only going to get worse when I move all my mail traffic on
to it.

Why should qmail-qread do the work when it isn't needed/wanted? I'm not
suggesting that the current behaviour be changed, just that perhaps a
command line option to not print out the recipient list could be added.

Evan