Mailing List Archive

Qmail logging/logfiles(s)?
Hello,

I am a new qmailer, so far so good! I run several mailing lists and
would like to use the qmailanalog suite to do some accounting of
deliveries.

The qmailanalog INSTALL wants to process:

/var/log/maillog

which I don't have.

The qmail INSTALL says qmail logging is found in:

syslog (/var/adm/syslog is where it lives on my machine)

However most of my qmail logging shows up in:

/var/adm/messages

Where is qmail supposed to do it's logging, how can I get it out
of 'messages'?

I am running Linux Slackware 2.0.27

Thanks in advance!

--Paul T.

--
Carl Zwanzig: "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a
dark side, and it holds the universe together...."
Re: Qmail logging/logfiles(s)? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Paul Thomas wrote:

> Where is qmail supposed to do it's logging, how can I get it out
> of 'messages'?

Check /etc/syslog.conf. Messages sent to syslogd are specified with
a "facility" (such as mail or cron) and a "level" (such as alert or
warning). The file /etc/syslog.conf controls what syslogd does with
incoming messages. Delivery notifications from qmail seem to be logged
with facility "mail" and level "info"; but check the source code for
full details.

------------ Greg Wooledge -------------
------- <wooledge@kellnet.com> -------
--- <http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html> ---
Re: Qmail logging/logfiles(s)? [ In reply to ]
Hello ! In a previous interesting mail, Paul Thomas said :
> The qmailanalog INSTALL wants to process:
> /var/log/maillog
> The qmail INSTALL says qmail logging is found in:
> syslog (/var/adm/syslog is where it lives on my machine)
> However most of my qmail logging shows up in:
> /var/adm/messages

man syslogd

--
#include <stdio.h>