Mailing List Archive

help with bounced forwarded messages
Kevin Mulholland writes:

> the error reported in /uad/adm/messages says
> Sorry,I_couldn't_find_any_host_named_delta.vs.dmicros.com.(#5.1.2)
>
> now this host exists and is directly connected via ethernet
> it exists in my hosts file and can be 'ping'ed
>

> smtproutes file
> :mail.u-net.com

A wildcard entry in smtproutes like this is the equivalent of an MX
record for every host. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that you'll
get the above error message for every host if you have troubles with
mail.u-net.com.

> defaultdomain file
> vs.dmicros.com
>
> locals file
> localhost
> papa
> dmicros.com
>
> me file
> papa.vs.dmicros.com

Sure you want to set it up like this? You'll be sending out mail as
vs.dmicros.com, but you won't be able to receive such mail. The only
way you could get mail back from vs.dmicros.com is if you've got a
mail hub set up that forwards mail to papa.vs.dmicros.com. You might
want to list vs.dmicros.com in locals.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok