Sys Admin Voice: 800-388-7371
http://www.snapshot.com dlew@snapshot.com
Personal: http://cortex.snapshot.com/~dlew
Banners [ In reply to ]
David Lew writes:
> Hello
>
> How do I go about adding a banner on the bottom of each email sent on a
> mailing list? I want to put how to unsubscribe on it. Thanks.

If you're using qlist2, you have to switch to qlist, because you have
to use split .qmail files. Tell people that the mail comes in to
LISTNAME@snapshot.com (or USER-LISTNAME -- the rest of these
instructions presume that LISTNAME gets replaced by USER-LISTNAME).
This will be handled by a .qmail-LISTNAME file. All that file
contains is this (all on one line):

as the subject') | forward LISTNAME-outgoing

Then, you have another .qmail file called .qmail-LISTNAME-outgoing,
which contains that actual list of usernames. Your
.qmail-LISTNAME-request file contains the following (again, all one
line):

|/var/qmail/bin/qlist LISTNAME@snapshot.com
LISTNAME-request@snapshot.com .qmail-LISTNAME-outgoing
.qmail-LISTNAME-request .qtemp-LISTNAME LISTNAME-owner

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok
Re: Banners [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, David Lew wrote:

> How do I go about adding a banner on the bottom of each email sent on a
> mailing list? I want to put how to unsubscribe on it. Thanks.

I think this is something best done in the MUA (Mail User Agent),
not in qmail. Unfortunately, I don't know of any MUA's which do this.
(Unless there's some sort of emacs mode...? I don't use emacs.)

Hmm. The "best" solution would probably be an extensible MUA. Does
anyone know of any MUA's based on a scripting language such as S-Lang?
Or does anyone know for sure whether emacs already has the capability
of doing this? (It can probably be taught to do this....)

------------ Greg Wooledge -------------
------- <wooledge@kellnet.com> -------
--- <http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html> ---
Re: Banners [ In reply to ]

Greg> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, David Lew wrote:
>> How do I go about adding a banner on the bottom of each email sent on a
>> mailing list? I want to put how to unsubscribe on it. Thanks.

Greg> I think this is something best done in the MUA (Mail User Agent),
Greg> not in qmail. Unfortunately, I don't know of any MUA's which do this.
Greg> (Unless there's some sort of emacs mode...? I don't use emacs.)

Actually, this is the purview of the mailing list manager. Majordomo,
for instance, will allow you to do this.

--
David Blacka Software Engineer Directory Services/
davidb@rwhois.net Network Solutions, Inc. RWhois Development
Re: Banners [ In reply to ]
> How do I go about adding a banner on the bottom of each email sent on a
> mailing list? I want to put how to unsubscribe on it. Thanks.

Depends on the mailing list manager. I'm using majordomo which has
this as a per list configuration item.

olaf