QMTP between them instead of SMTP?

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.
Re: QMTP between 2 qmail server [ In reply to ]
At 17:43 25/02/97 -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:

>I have two machines running qmail 0.96. How do I configure them to do
>QMTP between them instead of SMTP?

There is no easy way to use QMTP as an alternative to SMTP such that
transfers are done *instantaneously* as qmail-remote has no support for QMTP.

Basically you need to look at the serialmail package and feed the maildir into
maildir2qmtp.

It's actually a tricky issue for qmail-remote as it has to have some way of
knowing whether the target site is running QMTP or SMTP. Short of doing a
probe on each port it needs a configuration file or DNS information to tell
it which protocol to use.

Dan suggests the possibility of abusing MX preferences to do this in his
document RFCMXPS which can be found in the qmail tarball.

Regards.
Re: QMTP between 2 qmail server [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Mark Delany wrote:

> Dan suggests the possibility of abusing MX preferences to do this in his
> document RFCMXPS which can be found in the qmail tarball.

What is the likelyhood of MXPS support coming in a future qmail-rspawn?
I'd be interested in trying out qmtp internally, but I'm not going to set
up delivery to a maildir, etc.

Evan
--
Evan Champion * Director, Network Operations
mailto:evanc@synapse.net * Directeur, Exploitation du reseau