email at 0001-info@redrose.net, won't that "-" confuse checkpassword?

Also, how does newbox(actually the patched checkpassword) know who to
authenticate and which folder to read from?

--
John Banghart
Systems Administrator
Red Rose SuperNet
john@success.net
Nelson's newbox script question [ In reply to ]
John Banghart writes:
> We want to use the newbox script on our system but have some questions
> as to whether or not it will create problems with our virtual domains.

Maybe, or maybe not. It depends on something I don't understand about
your configuration.

> For example, info@success.net is a virtual that actually delivers to
> 0001-info@redrose.net, where 0001 is the prefix for success.net.

Is this a prefix to a complete username "0001-info", or is the
username "0001"? The rest of this message presumes the latter.

> According to the newbox script, it looks for the "-" in order to
> determine where to deliver the mail. When someone tries to retrieve the
> email at 0001-info@redrose.net, won't that "-" confuse checkpassword?

No, because checkpassword essentially strips it off before checking
the account and password.

> Also, how does newbox(actually the patched checkpassword) know who to
> authenticate and which folder to read from?

The presumption is that all of the sub-mailboxes belong to the same
user. It authenticates based on the user's password, and switches to
one of the Maildirs in the user's home directory.

So, if you wanted to use the newbox script, you would have to use the
same password on all the 0001 mailboxes -- the password belonging to
the 0001 account.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok