Mailing List Archive

override envelope sender?
Greg Wooledge writes:

> Ideally, the envelope sender for messages sent to local users should be
> just what it is now, but the envelope sender on messages which go to the
> Internet should be the same as the From: header.

You *can* fix it so that mail works that way, but I'm not sure that
it's worth the effort.

> Failing that, it would be acceptable simply to change the envelope
> sender to match the From: header on all messages.

> (How) can I convince qmail to do this? Is this done by using a
> command-line option when my MUA calls what it thinks is sendmail?

Easiest way is to set .../control/defaulthost. qmail will
automatically set the From: header and the envelope sender to be the
username followed by contents of .../control/defaulthost. If your MUA
is already inserting a From: header, you could either tell it not to,
or else tell qmail-inject (via its environment variables) to discard
the incoming From: and make up one corresponding to the login to the
user.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok