Mailing List Archive

Smartlist with qmail
Having switched our regular mail host over to qmail, I'm now looking to cut
over our mailing list machine. Anyway, while attempting to use smartlist, I
seem to have hit a snag. I thought it would be as easy as moving the lines
from /etc/aliases like

list: "|exec /home/slist/.bin/flist list"

|exec /home/slist/.bin/flist list
in
/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-list

(and the same with the request address).

However, when I do this, any requests or submissions (regardless of any
configuration issues in rc.* in the list directory) get logged in the
request file for that list, and remained unprocessed.

If anyone who has cut over to smartlist over qmail sucessfully might point
out what obvious step I'm missing.... (If I could figure this out, I'd
start working on cutting in qmail to replace the choplist stuff at the
back-end)... TIA.

-Matthew Schnierle
-pyld@grove.iup.edu
-http://www.iup.edu/~pyld/
-Member, Programmers Local 1036--AFL-CPIO.
-Stomp out Internet Spam. http://www.vix.com/spam/
Re: Smartlist with qmail [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You should use the qmail-users mechanism so that you change the uid of the
message to the uid of the list. etc.....
This is what I use (in /var/qmail/users/assign)
=ezine:list:515:101:/home/staff/list:-:ezine:
=ezine-request:list:515:101:/home/staff/list:-:ezine-request:
and in ~list/.qmail-ezine i have
|/home/staff/list/.bin/flist ezine
and in ~list/.qmail-ezine-request i have
|/home/staff/list/.bin/flist ezine-request

Andi

At 23:55 23/02/97 -0500, Matthew Schnierle wrote:
>Having switched our regular mail host over to qmail, I'm now looking to cut
>over our mailing list machine. Anyway, while attempting to use smartlist, I
>seem to have hit a snag. I thought it would be as easy as moving the lines
>from /etc/aliases like
>
>list: "|exec /home/slist/.bin/flist list"

>|exec /home/slist/.bin/flist list
>in
>/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-list
>
>(and the same with the request address).
>
>However, when I do this, any requests or submissions (regardless of any
>configuration issues in rc.* in the list directory) get logged in the
>request file for that list, and remained unprocessed.
>
>If anyone who has cut over to smartlist over qmail sucessfully might point
>out what obvious step I'm missing.... (If I could figure this out, I'd
>start working on cutting in qmail to replace the choplist stuff at the
>back-end)... TIA.
>

>-Matthew Schnierle
>-pyld@grove.iup.edu
>-http://www.iup.edu/~pyld/
>-Member, Programmers Local 1036--AFL-CPIO.
>-Stomp out Internet Spam. http://www.vix.com/spam/

,,,
(o o)
Andi Gutmans - Computer Science, Israel Institute of Technology (Technion)

Email: andi@israel.eu.org Web: http://andi.rifkin.technion.ac.il
andi@actcom.co.il

For my PGP public key, finger andi@vipe.technion.ac.il

.oooO Oooo.