Mailing List Archive

Curious...
I'm curious...

Whats the largest amount of mail traffic handled by
non-mailinglist-centric sites out there with qmail? Please provide info
on the type of system, bandwidth, etc, etc.

to get the ball rolling...here's one days traffic on one of our outgoing
mail hubs, a ss20 with 2 125mhz ROSS cpu's, 196 megs RAM, 500 megs swap
running Solaris 2.5.1 with the curent recomended patches

and the zoverall output

Messages: 72045
Recipients: 71936
Average message tries: 1.04622
Total delivery attempts: 95044
success: 58959
failure: 13793
deferral: 22292
Message bytes: 534430436
Message bytes weighted by success: 426444075
Time span (days): 0.999372
Average message qtime (s): 127.501
Average xdelay (s): 11.5078
Average ddelay (s): 152.628
Average concurrency: 12.6671

I've diagnosed a disk problem on the machine, so I plan on increasing this
significantly with a striped /var/qmail

\w0zz
Re: Curious... [ In reply to ]
Well, no one's responded, so let me try again

Lets see what kind of thruput people are getting on their qmail systems
(non-mailing list oriented mail hubs please)

This is on a dual processor Sparc20 with 196 megs of ram and 500 megs
swap. I anticipate getting more messages out by striping /var/qmail which
is quite busy now

Basic statistics

Explanation of terms: qtime is the time spent by a message in the queue.
xdelay is the latency for a delivery attempt---the time when the attempt
finished, minus the time when it started. ddelay is the latency for a
successful delivery to one recipient---the end of successful delivery,
minus the time when the message was queued.

Messages: 135916
Recipients: 132282
Average message tries: 1.05759
Total delivery attempts: 162841
success: 110122
failure: 24182
deferral: 28537
Message bytes: 1034325962
Message bytes weighted by success: 813816783
Time span (days): 0.998998
Average message qtime (s): 962.347
Average xdelay (s): 18.2653
Average ddelay (s): 1033.49