Mailing List Archive

relaying to an exploder or
On 23 Feb 1997, Russell Nelson wrote:

> > In Israel, our international lines cost overwhelmingly, my tiny 64k costs
> > like a USA installation of a T1, so my bandwidth problems HURT. my biggest
> > problem is TCP connections dying because of line overflow. when a 300-400
> > people mailing list is distributed, and there are 12 messages, or 30 going
>
> Sounds to me, then, like you ought to find a site that will let you
> use them as a relayhost. Since you can find colocation offers for a
> couple of hundred dollars a month, someone would likely offer relaying
> service for the same price. Maybe even someone on this list?

HA! I should install a new freeware to add $200 to my monthly costs?! are
you reading your own words? I am not asking this as a standard but as an
important and easely implementable feature! disable it if you don't like
it!

in another thread on this very list, someone conplained that they had some
1000 recipients on a certain remote host, possible situation: some problem
causes the remote mailer to die, nothing listens on port 25. Qmail sends
the same 2K messge 1000 times instead of a one-time 10k message and
recipient list, but in this case, it's 1000 processes opening connections
and timing out.

I like to play lemmings, but not on my server.

> And, since you've only got a 64Kbps line, you should consider batching
> and compressing your mail. As I say, why pursue half measures like
> sendmail's aggregated deliveries to the same host, when you're paying
> for a relayhost?

I don't and will not start to pay anybody for a service I can do on my own
right now. Qmail should be a solution for a 64k, a 28k8 analog link or a
T3.

Ira Abramov <ira@scso.com> Scalable Solutions
SITE Web Presence ("webspace for rent") http://www.site.co.il
Beeper 91826 at 058-212121 FAX (972)2-643-0471
POBox 3600, Jerusalem 91035, Israel Tel (972)2-642-6822
http://www.scso.com/~ira Check out: http://www.linux.org.il