Mailing List Archive

Autoresponder Loop
If I have the following line in my .qmail file

|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -- "$SENDER" < forward.txt

For an autoresponder, what happens If I send a message to myself? Will
a massive loop result?

If so, what is the best way to setup an autoresponder?

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.
Autoresponder Loop [ In reply to ]
Dax Kelson writes:

> If I have the following line in my .qmail file
>
> |/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -- "$SENDER" < forward.txt
>

> For an autoresponder, what happens If I send a message to myself? Will
> a massive loop result?

Hmmm... good point. But why would you want all mail sent to your
account to generate an autoresponse? Set up an extension
(e.g. nelson-corn, which replies with my wife's list of foods
containing corn).

> If so, what is the best way to setup an autoresponder?

Probably like this:

|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -- -f "" "$SENDER" < forward.txt

This sets the envelope From: address to empty, so that people (and
machines) cannot reply to it.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software sells network driver support | PGP ok
Re: Autoresponder Loop [ In reply to ]
> |/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -- "$SENDER" < forward.txt
> For an autoresponder, what happens If I send a message to myself? Will
> a massive loop result?

This is why every automatic response (bounce being just a special case
of automatic response) is supposed to have an empty envelope sender.

> If so, what is the best way to setup an autoresponder?

Try
|/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -f "" -- "$SENDER" < forward.txt

Disclaimer: I haven't tested that.

olaf