// email: remco@cam053212.student.utwente.nl
// www: http://cam053212.student.utwente.nl
// -- Never make any mistaeks --
Re: qmail and uucp [ In reply to ]
At 05:35 PM 2/20/97 +0100, Remco van de Meent wrote:
>Hey
>
>Tiny question:
>
>what should I link rmail to?

The answer unfortunately is more complicated unless you have absolutely no
! addressing originating from your uucp sites.

If your uucp sites on send FQDN, then the existing rmail (or the one out of
the sendmail distribution) should work pretty much out of the box with the
qmail sendmail clone.

On the other hand, if your uucp sites send ! addresses then it's tricker as
qmail does not know how to deal with these addresses. I know of know general
solution to this problem. One solution I used for quite a while was to run
sendmail with qmail and *only* use sendmail for the purpose of accepting
mail from rmail and feeding it straight into qmail. From a security
perspective this can be made quite safe as there is no need to have sendmail
setuid root in such circumstances. The mailing list archive has various
discussions on running sendmail with qmail and maybe the FAQ does too (not
sure).

The general gist though is to install qmail in the normal way, re-compile
rmail to point to the real sendmail (which typically has to be moved to make
room for the qmail sendmail clone), configure sendmail to use the qmail host
as the smart host, turn off the setuid bit and install a cron job to run the
sendmail queue for the cases where qmail isn't running.

Regards.