Mailing List Archive

handling domain-wide mail seperately from local host mail
Well, I've got my cyrus problem solved quite well now. I wrote a
little wrapper that translates cyrus' deliver script's return codes to
something qmail can understand, so now even bounce messages are
handled ok. It's also got a feature so that the address chrish+joe
will go into the "joe" folder of the user "chrish" -- just like they
have working in the distributionsendmail.cf for cyrus. If anyone
would like this, I'd be happy to send it.

What I'm curious about now is whether or not I can have mail sent
directly to a qmail host (bla@justin.lakeside.sea.wa.us) be handled
different from MX-record mail (@lakeside.sea.wa.us) that is handled by
the same machine. I assume I can create a virtualhosts like this:

justin.lakeside.sea.wa.us:alias-one
lakeside.sea.wa.us:alias-two

And handle thing this way. Could someone confirm this? I don't
really want to switch our MX record over just to test this out....

Also, would there be anything wrong with creating a second DNS for a
machine (a "real" DNS name, NOT a cname record) for the purposes of
mail filtering? For the same machine above, could I make another DNS
name, in addition to "justin", called, say, "phread", and put another
entry in virtualhosts, in addition to the above ones, to deal with
that:

phread.lakeside.sea.wa.us:alias-three

I would make a cname pointer but, as has been pointed out recently,
those silly mail programs don't preserve cname names.

Thanks!

-Chris